Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Drink made of plant ashes    

Drink made of plant ashes

carinita
Argentina

Drink made of plant ashes

Please help me understand this:
"Results show gladiators mostly ate a vegetarian diet, consisting of grain
  • To counteract lack of protein, evidence suggests they also drank �ash tonic �
  • Plant ashes mixed with vinegar is said to have been a pre-cursor to the modern-day sports drink"

• Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2801412/roman-gladiators-ate-vegetarian-diet-washed-sports-drink-plant-ashes-vinegar.html#ixzz3WkghlouW
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

When you mix ash with vinegar and/ or water, do you get a liquid substance? I used a text similar to this for a reading activity and the "plant ashes drink" sounded or still sounds weird to me. 
    P. S. Please answer asap. I�m attaching the reading activity to an annual plan as a model lesson.
    Thank you!

8 Apr 2015      

yanogator
    United States

I �m sure that it would depend on the amount of liquid, but it seems that a few grams of ashes in a half liter of water or vinegar would definitely be liquid.

Bruce 

8 Apr 2015     

Jayho
    Australia

I did a bit of googling and that�s very interesting, Caranita! Their own energy sports drink or �ash tonic�.

Instead of plant ashes drinks the various articles refer to it as a plant ash drink.

Cheers

Jayho

8 Apr 2015     

alien boy
    Japan

Unfortunately I don �t have a recipe for you, Caranita, but I do have some interesting links, if you want to read them!

http://lifeandhealth.org/nutrition/diet-secrets-of-the-gladiators/123162.html

From http://bmcr.brynmawr.edu/2005/2005-10-33.html (sorry, the whole article is a little long winded)

Very commonly, Roman pharmacologists prepared ingredients in compound remedies by charring them, or reducing them to ash, with the apparent belief that simples gave their best results in this form.

If I manage to locate a recipe, I �ll add it to  this post!
    Cheers,
    AB 

8 Apr 2015     

carinita
    Argentina

Bruce You �re so right!! It �s a matter of common sense.
    Thanks for answering everybody! 

8 Apr 2015     

Peter Hardy
    Australia

It does sound a bit strange, indeed. Nevertheless, I remember drinking that stuff as a kid when we had diarrhea. My mum didn �t believe in doctors and had many �ancient � solutions instead.  And I �m still here after many years, so it didn �t kill me, although I did think as a kid it would.  (See picture of me and my friends below as proof :-)

As such, I like the following quote from one of AB �s articles: Just because we live in the 21st century does not necessarily mean we are more competent than people were in the past. Let�s also remember the importance of learning from history, as there are many fascinating lessons (and maybe even diet secrets) just waiting to be rediscovered.

Cheers, Peter

Image result for spartacus gladiator

P.s. Check this out: 30 uses for wood ashes, you never thought of @

8 Apr 2015     

yanogator
    United States

But, Peter, did it work?

Bruce

8 Apr 2015     

alien boy
    Japan

Here �s a couple of other related links:

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/ancient-cultures/daily-life-and-practice/what-did-gladiators-eat/

From Pliny, the Elder: �For abdominal cramp or bruises,� states Marcus Varro, and I quote his very words, �your hearth should be your medicine chest. Drink lye made from its ashes, and you will be cured. One can see how gladiators after a combat are helped by drinking this.�
    Pliny, Natural History XXXVI.203

A caution abot Pliny�s reliability: In an email to Bible History Daily, University of Hawaii at Manoa classicist Daniel Harris-McCoy offers a caution when using Pliny the Elder as a textual source: �Pliny the Elder is willing to print anything and everything, which makes him fun to read but sometimes hard to use as a source of solid information. He includes wild �facts� about the giant gold-digging ants of India and even talks about ancient hallucinogenic drugs. But the material about gladiators consuming an ash drink seems credible, especially since Varro is his source.�

Cheers,
    AB�

8 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
    United Kingdom

Very interesting post! I love dear Pliny the Elder, who by the way, underwent (is that a word?) death by ash. Peter, my mother used to give me hot brandy mixed with sugar, for any ailment at all. So, it was a short hop from that to my tipple as a young woman - brandy and Babycham. 36 of those and I was ready for anything!

9 Apr 2015     

carinita
    Argentina

Many thanks for commenting!

9 Apr 2015