Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > PASSIVE: I am looking for very specific verbs …    

PASSIVE: I am looking for very specific verbs …

goodnesses
Algeria

By the Frenchfrog.
In French there is the impersonal pronoun "ON" that we use very often instead of the passive.
Especially, as AH said, when the doer is unknown or the the thing done is more important than the doer as in your example. In French we would rather say, " On lui a offert un manteau de fourrure." (active) than "Elle a �t� offerte un manteau de fourrure." or "Un manteau de fourrure lui a �t� offert." which would sound bizzare in French.

Qu�en pensez-vous?

3 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

You are right but I am not interested in how French works!!!!
I have no problem with sentences like "She was given a reward for ...", "She was asked a few questions about ..." but there are sentences that just sound weird to my ear, like �My boyfriend cooked me lunch� > �I was cooked lunch by my boyfriend�????? or �She was bought a fur coat� (I prefer �She was given or offered a coat�).
Frenchfrog

3 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

I said this just to point out that quite often we are influenced by our mother tongue (French is "nearly" my mother tongue) when dealing with some functions of the English language.

3 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I think you need to consider the prior sentence when discussing passive verbs.

Her Sugardaddy was oozing wealth and wanted to thank her for services rendered, it was important he remained discrete and therefore employed his secretary as the go between.  She was bought a furcoat to ensure continued discretion.

In this context it sounds fine to me...Wink

4 Oct 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3