Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

help

Hello, dear friends,

I am confused a little bit, please, explain the difference between "vocation" and "vacation". I know the translation of both, but I am afraid to use. It was written in an exam card, "MY DREAM VOCATION" . What should they talk about?  

9 Apr 2015      

redcamarocruiser
United States

To me dream vocation would be the career or job that one would would most like to have.

9 Apr 2015     

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

I thougt about the same, but there is another topic "My future career" in the exam cards. That �s why I decided to ask for help. Thank you.

9 Apr 2015     

Zora
Canada

I think that this "My Dream Vocation" would mean something you really want to do in life. A vocation is not really a career, it is more than that. It is something you know that you �ve always wanted to do/become. I guess you might call it a "calling".

9 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

There �s a chance that My Dream Vocation was a misprint and it was supposed to be vacation.

Bruce 

9 Apr 2015     

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

I hope, there was a misprint,  

now I know, that it is not a career  only, that it is more, a "calling". IT IS VERY IPORTANT FOR ME. 
Many thanks, dear friends,

It is morning here, I am going to school, and will ask the previous teachers to clarify, because I have been working here since september only. They are not working here any more.

P.S. I am so HAPPY to have such real friends, and many thanks to VICTOR and his team for this wonderful site!!!
I appreciate your help very much!Hug

9 Apr 2015     

PhilipR
Thailand

This exam card is, to say the least, not very clear. Collocation-wise (is this even a word?), dream vacation is much more used than dream vocation. 

The totally unscientific (but nevertheless interesting) Googlefight result is clear: http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?word1=%22Dream+vacation%22&word2=%22Dream+vocation%22 

Discuss with your colleagues and either change vocation to vacation or holiday, or use other words to avoid confusion for test takers, e.g. What is something you have always wanted to do in life (but haven �t done so far)?

10 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with the others. We wouldn �t actually have this issue in England. It would be �dream holiday � or �ideal job �. 

11 Apr 2015