Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > DURATIVES    

DURATIVES

seansarto
United States

DURATIVES

Other day, a colleague of mine here in China asked why this sentence is incorrect:

"You mustn �t be away until I come back."

Off the top of my head, I didn �t have a real good answer...It was a paygrade up for me...So upon a little research my reply became because only a punctual verb would anticipate a punctual action...but I wasn �t convinced with my explanation.

Any  thoughts?  

17 Apr 2015      

gabriel_aubert
Argentina

I don �t know if this is correct, but I think "to be away" is used to refer to a long absence (holidays, business trip, etc). The correct verb there should be LEAVE: "You mustn �t leave until I come back". 

17 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Gabriel �s alternative sounds good. Although I don �t know the rule, the original sounds fine to me. I can imagine saying that to a colleague in the sense of... �I am off now for my holiday, so you can �t be away till I get back. �

18 Apr 2015     

olka0207
Poland

Gabriel and Cunliffe - you �re right, "leave" is the best for this particular context and it sounds much better :)

Another alternative could possibly be "You mustn �t go out...", but I prefer "You mustn �t leave..."

18 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

Yes, "leave" is the best alternative.

The reason the original is wrong is the word "be". If your friend is leaving for a trip this afternoon, and you might not be home from work yet, you can say, "You mustn �t go away until I get back", but "be" doesn �t work.

Bruce 

18 Apr 2015     

seansarto
United States

I knew "leave" was correct..but I wanted to know exactly why...probe the language for it�s reasoning...

"go" is dynamic/punctual...whereas "be in the phrasal of "be away" is stative/durative?

18 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

I guess that �s the reason. Essentially, a stative verb doesn �t work (just a general observation, not any kind of a rule) with "until".

Bruce

18 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

What about �You must be good until I get back � ?

19 Apr 2015     

seansarto
United States

"Be away"  is a phrasal verb..."Be" can be both stative and dynamic...(i.e.) "He is being good"....but not  "He is being away."

19 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you. I understand this - I think...

19 Apr 2015