Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Something or anything?    

Something or anything?

kara305
Vietnam

Something or anything?

Please help me with this sentence.

" Can �t you do ______________ with your family?"

A. something     B. anything.

and why do you choose that answer.
Thank you! 

4 May 2015      

yining
China

Can �t you do ______________ with your family?"  anything

4 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Either, but I think grammatically, it should be anything, which comes after a negative interrogative. The stress would be on anything. If you get really exasperated, you would then say, �Is there nothing you can do with your family? � 

(I may be wrong...) 

4 May 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

As a general rule, we use SOME (-thing) in affirmative sentences and ANY (-thing) in interrogative and negative sentences, but we can use ANY (singular or plural) in affirmative sentences, "no matter which".

ANY (anything) in affirmatives sentences:

• You can take any book you like.  (You can take one book, no matter which one)

• You can take any books you like.  (You can take more than one book, no matter which ones)

• That exercise is very easy.  Any child here could answer that.  (This boy or that girl, it doesn �t matter who you choose, they all know the answer)

• You don �t need to go there at the weekend.  You can go any day you want.  It �s always open.

ANY in conditional sentences

We usually use ANY after "if" even in affirmative sentences (but SOME may also be possible)

• If you see anything strange, tell me

• If you like any of these books, you can borrow it.

Cheers, Peter

4 May 2015     

joannajs
Poland

The answer would depend on how unbearable your family is :-D

"Can you do something with my family?" would suggest a lesser problem, as some in questions can be used if you are expecting a positive answer (e.g. Can you give me something to drink?)

"Can you do anything with my family?" is an indication for me that a situation is really grave (Adams family???) and it �s hard to do anything really.

Also, as my learned colleagues already suggested, if it �s an elementary level - I �d rather go for "anything" as it follows the rule of "any-" for questions and negations". The higher the level - B1/2 and up - the more options.

best,

joanna 

4 May 2015     

annedavid
France

I would use both, depending on the situation, eg:

I would say, "Can �t you do something with your family?" to someone who didn �t know what to do at the weekend.

I would say, "Can �t you do anything with you family?" to someone who complained that they didn �t get on with their family.

Hope that helps,

Anne

4 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Yes, wither choice as some have said, for the reasons Anne gave very clearly. I also agree that if it is an elementary class, "anything" is the better choice.

Bruce

4 May 2015     

kwsp
United States

Here in Iowa if someone asks, "Can �t you do something with your family?" to a parent or parents it means, "Can �t you make your children behave?" If asked by a teenager to another teenager it means, "Can �t you find some way to get your parents to let you do what you want to do?" It can also mean, "Isn �t there something you can do to make your family members be more agreeable in this adverse situation?"

"Isn �t there anything you can do with your family?" might be a parent speaking to their rebellious teen, "Can �t you find ANYTHING you enjoy doing with your family?"   

4 May 2015     

kara305
Vietnam

Thank you very much for your answers.
 I
Kara 

5 May 2015