Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Short stories for adult learners    

Short stories for adult learners

ronit85
Israel

Short stories for adult learners

Hello to all of you
I have been teaching three elderly women for seversl years now and  in addition of the fun we all have their English has well improved.
I have never used a specific textbook but rather collected materials from websites and other sources, each lesson as a seperate unit.
last year i started adding short stories to our lessons and it had a lot of success as it also enabled discussions about the characters, plot etc.
The thing is I ran out of short stories, I need stories of only a few pages so that they can be read and discussed in one or two lessons (90 minutes) I have looked at sites with short stories but they  are much too long.
I would really be happy if any of you could give me some ideas.
thanks in advance and have a lovely spring/fall
Ronit

5 May 2015      

cltaylor
Canada

breakingnewsenglish.com

This is a great website with current events articles. Each article has a lesson plan with vocabulary and comprehension topics.

http://www.eslfast.com/eslread/

There are 365 free short stories on this site.

5 May 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Ronit

When I was teaching narratives I used this site a lot: http://www.rong-chang.com/

Have you done fairy tales (and folk tales)?  You could use the actual book version or an online version.  You can also look at the Youtube version to aid comprehension. If they have grandchildren, then fairy tales will be ideal.

Some useful fairy tale links:

Cheers

Jayho

5 May 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

If you are looking for a paper book, I love the True Stories in the News series by Sandra Heyer. As noted, these are all true, documented stories for students from a beginning literacy level up to high intermediate. They have exercises already prepared. At the lower levels, the stories are less than one page. I love these books with my classes. She also has some similar books about True Stories Behind the Songs, at beginning and high beginning levels. I �ve never used those, but I would guess they are similarly great.

5 May 2015     

douglas
United States

I �m becoming a big fan of READWORKS, it may be worth checking-out for you:

I set-up an account and don �t get spammed, just an occasional list of theme-based texts for different reading levels--I reall ylike it.

Cheers,
Douglas

6 May 2015     

MarionG
Netherlands

Douglas,
This site is really great! Thanks for sharing the link! 

6 May 2015