Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > spelling rule    

spelling rule

robinbaby
France

spelling rule

Dear colleagues

I �ve always taught my pupils that, when they put an adjective in the comparative or the superlative, they should be careful about one-syllable adjectives ending with 1 vowel and one consonant as they have to double the consonant. e. g. big => bigger / the biggest.

But this morning we came across the adjective "new" and they wanted to have a double W. I told them it was not the case, but I could explain them why! I thought that maybe it �s because [ju:] is a diphthong and not a consonant sound. But that �s just a thought!

If any of you has an explanation, my pupils would be glad to get the answer I couldn �t provide.

Thanks a lot.

Celine 

5 May 2015      

maryse pey�
France

Hi dear,

The rule is not good for the diphtongues (2 following vowel sounds) as in �new �. Just check what I am used to tell my students : �when you have a short vowel sound between 2 consonants, and only 1 last consonant, this last consonant doubles. � When you check in a phonetic dictionary you will see a short sound, I mean without the ":" behind the vowel sound. For example in "ship" (I) you have got a simple and short vowel sound whereas in "sheep" (I:) there is a long vowel sound.

Is my explanation ok for you ?

Maryse.

5 May 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

There is a point in your finding, Celine. As far as I can think w is always preceded by a vowel and sometimes forms a diphthong.  Although, we have some adjectives that end with -w and  there is no diphthong:

e.g. 
raw - rawer - rawest

As an accepted rule,  we should not double the following consonants - w, - x,  -y (the latter changes in -ies when preceded by a consonant)

5 May 2015     

robinbaby
France

Thanks a lot to both of you. That was enlightening.

5 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Georgi has it right. We don �t double x, y or z in these situations.

Bruce

5 May 2015     

Minka
Slovenia

I think this has a lot to do with the sounds that we pronounce and hear. When you write Y or W, they are often mute. In NEW you don �t really have a feeling that there is anything after that u: sound. In BIG you can hear that G very clearly. And the I is short as Maryse has already pointed out. It �s not the same with long vowels. 

5 May 2015     

Beba z.
Serbia

That is why I always write how words are pronounced, English spelling rules are not about the way words are written but the way they are pronounced.
In this case, the word NEW is pronounced /nju/ which is different from BIG /big/, new has combination consonant+vowel, and big short vowel+consonant, this is the  reason and the rule why g is doubled.

5 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Well, Beba, that will take you pretty far, but it won �t explain why the past of "box" isn �t "boxxed",although I think the rationale here is that x is really a double sound - ks, so, then, your explanation does work.

Bruce

5 May 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

I �m a bit lazier and simply tell my students that every grammar rule in English has many exceptions. Having said so, I have to add that I teach my ss as little grammar as possible, but focus on teaching sentences aka daily speech. That way they start to speak quicker, and will discover the grammar kind of automatically. And yes, they often ask such questions as �why �, especially after Computer-English class, where  they have an opportunity to access the web to practice their english at certain sites.  So my lazyness is rather a necessity to cope with too many different questions in one session.

Cheers, Peter

5 May 2015     

Beba z.
Serbia

Yanogator, you guessed it! That is how I explain it :)
Even young students (10-year-olds) pick up the rule pretty easy, it somehow makes sense to them.

6 May 2015