Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > HELP    

HELP

araveg
Spain

HELP

hi everybody

I have a little discussion   about the rephrasing of these sentence. 

" They are getting married in june and they �re moving house for few months later"
by the way....................................................

by the time they �re moving house they will be getting married

by the time they are moving house, they will have been married few months later-

What do you think about  two these answers ?

Thanks in advance 

10 May 2015      

yanogator
United States

Hi,

First, the original sentence isn �t correct, because of the word "for". It should be "moving house a few months later".

As for rewording, with "by the time...", we use the simple present, then the future perfect, not the present continuous and the future, as you have it. So, if you want to use "By the time...", it should be

By the time they move house, they will have been married a few months  (or ... for a few months).

In your second example, you can �t have "later", because they will have been married before they move house.

Bruce 

10 May 2015     

araveg
Spain

thank you very much

My original sentence is "they are getting married in june and they �re moving house few months ago"

And my answer . "by the time they move house, they will have been married few months (or.........few months ago?)

I have questioned this because I am always having problems with one of my daughter �s teachers, Sometimes she comes home with some sentences that I think they are wrong.  That �s why I usually ask for help . I want to be completely sure.

Thanks again.

You are a great help for me. 

Happy week 

10 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Yes, it �s important to be sure, and we are happy to help.

Now, on to your original sentence, which is also�incorrect.

�First, it should be "a few months", and "ago" is inappropriate here, partly because the situation is in the future.
Your answer is�good, except, again, it should be "a few months", and definitely not "ago". The word "ago" is for comparison to the present. Since this sentence deals with the future, "ago" just doesn �t fit.
�Bruce

10 May 2015