Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Phrasal Verbs    

Phrasal Verbs

kwsp
United States

Phrasal Verbs

Hello everyone!

I just downloaded a new ESLprintables  worksheet on phrasal verbs. One of the questions on it is:

Before getting a visa you have to �������an application form.

The answer is supposed to be "fill in".
In this part of the U.S.A. we say fill in the blanks but fill out the application or fill out the form.
How about you? What do you have to say about this?

Looking forward to your comments,
kwsp 

10 May 2015      

Hidaya2014
Morocco

Fill in

10 May 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/1514/fill-out-a-form-or-fill-in-a-form suggests that it is a difference in British and American English.

10 May 2015     

kwsp
United States

Thank you, Red. I thought "fill in" must be British English. I thought it was funny that an Englishman on the link you sent said that he had lived in the U.S.A. for twenty years and still couldn �t get used to hearing "fill out". I also read on the link that in the German language they also say "fill out".

10 May 2015     

shvat
Israel

I say "fill out" the form but fill in the blanks (on a test/HW)... American English -East coast! 

11 May 2015     

CVTMurakami
Japan

Both work for me. 

South England/Scotland - Britain. 

11 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Fill in.

11 May 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Fill out is common enough in Scotland.

As is the non-�phrasal verb � complete, incidentally.

11 May 2015     

spinney
United Kingdom

I normally say "fill in" which is kind of standard in the British Isles but there are plenty on those Islands that say "fill out." I love how sometimes there is confusion over phrasal verbs either side of the pond. An American colleague got very confused over "jack in" the other week (I won �t elaborate) and I know some Brits who turn purple and stammer when they here "named for" in place of "named after." Sometimes we even doubt the use of our phrasal verbs as I did with an exercise where I defined "do down" meaning to detract credibility or importance from something (it was difficult to find a good defintion on Google) until I saw it being used on a UK election debate the other night.
Actually, one day, I �d like to do a worksheet on the differences between UK and US phrasal verbs.

11 May 2015     

Jayho
Australia

In Australia (at least where I am) anything goes: fill in a form, fill out a form, complete a form. We use both American and British English.

Cheers

Jayho

11 May 2015     

Zora
Canada

Both work for me too. 

11 May 2015     

1    2    Next >