Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A parent called me names    

A parent called me names

Oksanochka
Ukraine

A parent called me names

Hi there!

I guess today has been the worst day in my teaching career and I need someone to look objectively at the situation and show me my mistakes.
  Last summer a woman phoned me to say that her son needed help with English and asked for private lessons. When he came to me he only knew the words "mother, father, one, two, three". I immediately established a good rapport with the new pupil. He was a very enthusiastic learner, easy-going and fun. His mother phoned to thank me because he was happy and started to love English. In autumn school began and I tried to include at least something from his school programme in our lessons, so that he could understand what was going on in his school English lessons (he was a 3-rd grader). That was very difficult because this year they had to learn the Present, Past and Future  Simple tenses and all we managed to cover during our several summer lessons was "It is", "This is", "I �ve got" , some numbers and colours, family members etc. His school textbook was awful. I had to record the audio for him to listen at home, made lots of games and presentations. I regularly saw his daybook with very bad marks and poor classroom behaviour ( almost every day). I thought that as long as we had a friendly relationship I could try and influence him, so that he would do better at school. Three months ago he stopped doing his(my) homework and started lying. I met his mum and told her about that. She said that he was like that at school, too. For the last two months we �ve been having "deja vu" lessons - we �ve been doing the same over and over again. I called his mum but she didn �t answer. I didn �t give marks - I used happy and sad faces near the hometask for his parents to see how we were doing. The last two pages had mostly sad faces. With each lesson I felt more and more desparate and disrespected. Last week I asked him why his mother didn �t answer my calls. He said he didn �t know. I said that he had to decide if he wanted to study or not and discuss that with his mother, because it �s not school and you don �t have to attend my lessons if you don �t want to. I called his mother later but she didn �t answer. The boy didn �t turn up for the next two lessons. Today I tried calling his mother again to find out if she knew about our conversation with her son and that he �s been absent. She answered this time: "You �re a bitch! How could you, fucking tutor, make my son cry?! You shoud have talked to me first!" I told her that she didn �t answer my calls, she said her battery was low. I tried to explain her the situation but she shouted "Fuck you!" and hung up.

I �ve been teaching kids for 15 years now and this is the first time I experience something like that. I don �t know what to think. How could I have acted instead of what I did?

13 May 2015      

r1hmah
Saudi Arabia

Allow me first to thank you for your efforts with that boy and of course with your other students. Personally and according to your side of the story I don �t think you did anything wrong with him or his mother, yes you probably should have tried to call once more and try to know what �s going on with her son ,if he had any problems. .. but it was obvious that the boy didn �t have what it takes to continue studying English on your hands. Maybe I seem cold hearted and hard but sometimes you face situations like this where no matter what you do, nothing happens.

13 May 2015     

nachtwind
China

The child obviously needs you as a tutor, given his performance at school.

I teach elementary and I think 3rd graders are not really capable of making important decisions like that about their education.  Perhaps giving him an ultimatum like that may have discouraged him.  

I �m not sure about students where you are, but tutors in Korea are notorious for giving parents only positive reports about their student, even if the student is bouncing off the walls and doesn �t learn a thing in class.  most parents appreciate the honesty but there are a few that are not open to hearing anything bad about their little angel, and if the student has any problems they think it is the teacher �s fault.  

There will always be people out there who don �t appreciate your hard work and are disrespectful.  All you can do is tread lightly and hope to minimize these negative experiences.  I just feel sorry the student, because if he is already behind he needs to catch up now or it will become even harder in the future. 

13 May 2015     

valpa
Argentina

I wouldn �t worry much about this, my dear friend. Maybe the boy �s mother did not know how to handle the situation and put the blame on you because she did not do what she had to do before  (answering back to your calls). If this is the way she solves her problems...she has a real one. It �s a pity she couldn �t listen to what you had to tell her. Let �s hope she can listen to her child �s real needs! Keep on giving your best, knowing that you will not always get the best from others! As a famous proverb says..."There �s none so deaf as he who will not hear" 

13 May 2015     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

To my mind, this child doesn �t deserve your care dear friend. You did what you could so that the child could achieve something. Given the fact that his mother was not grateful, there �s no need for you to carry on with the child. It seems to me that the mother felt you �re doing very little with the child as his marks didn �t improve. So why worry about such an incident?

13 May 2015     

Oksanochka
Ukraine

Thank you for your answers, valpa, nasreddine Sarsar, nachtwind and r1hmah!

Nachtwind, you �re right saying that children this age can �t make tough decisions. It �s just that the only homework I gave him was to watch 2 short videos about weather and seasons and play some simple games online plus learn some words for his school lessons (the same words and same videos and games for the last 5-6 lessons - but he never did it).
   Last year my 5-year-old daughter asked for dancing lessons. Parents were present during the lessons so I could see that she spent a lot of time admiring herself in the mirror and not listening to or looking at the teacher. I told her that if she really wanted to dance she had to listen to the teacher and use the mirror at home. She agreed and now she �s one of the best in her dancing class.
    He hasn �t got any problems at home - he has always been in a good mood and I know everything about his family as he is very talkative :-) Besides, I had known his mother and uncle long before they contacted me (we live in a small town).

13 May 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Oksanochka, do not worry. People are ungrateful and rude, sometimes. If a woman allows herself to behave the way she did, it �s her problem, not yours. The main thing is that you know you did your best to help the kid and you cannot blame yourself for anything. And the little lazy liar deserves a good spanking on his spoilt little ass:D. But his mother won �t do this thus ruining his future forever. You had a great day,after all, taking into account that you have learnt something - being too kind does not always pay. Have a nice day :)

14 May 2015     

class centre
Belarus

all the comments and advice are absolutely right. Only one more thing from my experience. Each time  I am asked to do the same kind of work to help a student emprove his or her English for school, I
1) give them a placement test,( showing  the parents the real level of his knowledge)
2) WARN them about the difference between his level and what the school programm requires. They must be aware of that  gap in advance to avoid that kind of situation. All the rest is - take no notice of bad and impolite people. It �s their problem, not yours.

Good luck!

14 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

This is hurtful for you. I used to tutor a little boy in French a long time ago. I arrived ready to give  the lesson once (I used to go to their house) to find that I had been replaced by another tutor! The kiddy had said I was boring!!!!!!! Me!!! I was desperately upset. The the parents ignored me for a while. The dad was my doctor. Happily, I stayed very healthy. I would attach no blame to the child - if they are idle and naughty, well...It �s not your fault. The mother, however, had no call to swear at you. How dare she! You must rise above this and let it go. Give a Mona Lisa smile if you bump into any of that family, and move on.

Lynne 

14 May 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Do you know the saying "The apple doesn �t fall far from the tree" ? So now you know where the kid got his attitude from, and it isn �t from you! To cheer you up, here �s another little wisdom: Kindness may not change the world immediately, but it may annoy enough people to make it worthwhile!  (Especially in small towns.)

Spanking is against the law in Australia although I �ve been tempted more than once to follow Gi2gi �s advice. After a similar incident in the beginning of my teaching career, a principal gave me the same advice as Class Centre to cover myself. You �ll be stronger when it happens again.

Cheers, Peter

Image result for dennis the menace spank 

14 May 2015     

ninon100
Russian Federation

Good riddance!

Holidays are coming, soon it will all blow over.

I have found it useful not to get too attached to my students emotionally.

Anyway - have a lovely summer.

14 May 2015     

1    2    Next >