Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Dates in English     

Dates in English

kara305
Vietnam

Dates in English

Please help me with this.

As far as I know 12/4 is read "the twelveth of April"  or  "April the twelveth". But today, I heard that it is read " twelveth of the fourth".

Someone can tell me why?

Thank you 

17 May 2015      

yanogator
United States

That �s not done in the US.

Bruce

17 May 2015     

Atople
Australia

The person is reading fraction....12/4 doesn �t mean date..it means fraction ie part of a whole

17 May 2015     

Atople
Australia

1/4, 1/3, 2/4 , 12/4 are all representing fractions. Not date. It �s only china they write dates that way. It �s fraction in standard English

17 May 2015     

aletrzcinska
Poland

I just wanted to add,

there is no �twelveth � - we say and write �twelfth � 

18 May 2015     

alien boy
Japan

Someone saying  �the telfth of the fourth � is saying it �s the 12th day of the 4th month. I �ve heard it said often enough. I �m wondering if it �s an Australianism.

In the USA, the standard practice is to put the month first, then the day no., therefore 12/4 would be December 4(th). Most of the rest of the world uses the day no. before the month. This makes 12/4 12(th) April.

Cheers,
AB 

18 May 2015     

WuxiTang
China

In Chinese, the months have no names, only numbers.  Early learners state the date by literally translating from Chinese.  That is likely the source of the error. 

18 May 2015     

kara305
Vietnam

I heard this from a recording of Family and Friends 5. The text is from a forum website. 
I am wondering if it is kind of slang used on the Internet.

18 May 2015     

Apodo
Australia

It �s not slang. We use this form of date in Australia quite often. When ringing a phone company about a problem for example, and they want to check your ID (Identification).
What is your date of birth? 

I could answer the second of the third, nineteen seventy.

It �s a way of saying the date which copies the way you would fill it in on a form. 02/03/1970 

This is British English we always say the day / the month /the year  dd/mm/yyyy

19 May 2015     

kara305
Vietnam

I got it. Thank you very much !

20 May 2015