Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Native vs Non-native    

Native vs Non-native

Mariethe House
France

I am the best!! LOLLOL

Seriously speaking, from my own experience , there again, Native teachers have that easy way  in their language which makes them sound more authentic ... They are naturally fluent , they feel the language , they know the subtleties according to context, they are usually more creative and more interested in  communication than grammar!
But students, kids especially need to be reassured ! They have to learn that languages are the reflection of a different way of thinking, of apprehending life and environment. So , maybe, someone (teacher) who can understand what their difficulties are is also a great help for them to  learn a foreign language

example: This morning I was helping a 12 year-old boy with homework. He had to write a description , in French . He wanted to say the boy was wearing a pair of denim shorts which in French is: un short en jean!! which he started writing: djin of course according to French phonetics because jean in french is pronounced: jɑ̃ ! His Conclusion: English people are really strange! So before you can teach a language, you have to open up some doors in the kids brains which are more easily opened if you speak the same native language!

25 May 2015     

kohai
Latvia

Honestly speaking, of course, a good native teacher is better than a non-native one. But the key word in the previous sentence is GOOD... 

25 May 2015     

manonski (f)
Canada

If you �re an excellent driver, does that make you the best person to teach a teen how to drive?
If you �re a good cook, does that mean you can have your own cooking school?

I think being a native speaker is an asset. It does not mean you will be a good teacher because teaching entails a lot more than knowledge.  It is a complex job. 

25 May 2015     

karagozian
France

Honestly I. Would say they are complementary. Each case is different. It all depends on the learner �s demand and abilities. A mixture of both would be the ideal class configuration.

26 May 2015     

ep89za
Greece

"Teaching" itself is a skill and a talent. A good teacher strives to make full use of their assets as well as try to overcome difficulties which obstruct them in achieving their goals:

to communicate their knowledge to their students
and
to become unnecessary for their students.

Therefore, their nationality is irrelevant. 

Zoi 

9 Jun 2015     

< Previous   1    2