Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Does Pronunciation Matter?    

Does Pronunciation Matter?

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

Does Pronunciation Matter?

With the emergence of many varieties of international English, do we still need to use native speaker pronunciation models in the teaching of English? Do we have to teach our students British English, American English, Canadian English, Kiwi English, Indian English, or maybe a blend will serve a better purpose in this global world?

26 May 2015      

ep89za
Greece

I think pronunciation matters. It �s accent that does not.

That is, although there are many accents in the world (not to mention in Britain alone), the pronunciation of a word is almost always the same. It �s the one mentioned in dictionaries and I think when learning a language one should start with the official pronunciation of the word while - at the same time - being exposed to all sorts of accents. 

27 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I wonder whether some schools and colleges have a policy on it. I notice that many students coming from Poland have that �rr rr � that denotes a North American accent. Or maybe it is just the accent of the teachers they recruit ... When I was an au pair in Italy, I worked with a girl who had a broad Yorkshire accent. Her signora was very posh and well-to-do, but she ended up speaking with this accent. One particular phrase she used creased me up... but I guess you had to hear it. Personally, I would say teach standard British English, but I would, wouldn �t I? 
Lynne 

27 May 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

In our schools we tend to teach RP (received pronunciation
I was taught that in uni or at least they tried it with me:) I �ve a natural inclination towards North Am English (Yeah, Lynne:) must be a disappointment to you:). I had worked as an interpreter before I became a teacher so I spoke American English both phonetically and lexically. I had hard time ajusting to British English texbooks vocabulary-wise, I mean, I had to constantly control myself and most often I would end up giving two variants to my ss. As to students, they immitate the variant they like more and if it �s the language of their favourite singer, TV show character, vlogger, then the choice is obvious, I guess:) 
Our upper intermediate course book CDs from Pearson include a variety of accents (non-native speaking as well). I guess the higher the level the more it is expected of a learner to understand different varieties of English. It doesn�t mean we should teach our students to immitate them. 
I still think the standard pronunciation has to be taught. 
I once tried speaking with a Russian accent that they use in American movies, just for fun, you know, and my students were shocked and asked me not to do that:)

27 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Great answer, Sophia and I don �t want to seem like a dinosaur (roar!!!!!!!!) but, why would anyone teach a variant as a norm? I mean Nasreddine! - Indian English? How strong would you want the Indian accent to be? Why not French English? I know I �m missing something... 

27 May 2015     

Jayho
Australia

How about Australian English? This website states that Australian English is different from British and American English in that it has a bias towards invention, deception, profanity, humour and a classless society. LOL!

Only 10% of Australians use RP. The majority of us speak with the general Australian accent (no rrrs on the end of our words - it is replaced with the schwa).

Actually, If you have time, read that web page.  The first part is serious but it becomes quite entertaining. And it�s all true!

27 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Or get the book "Let Stalk Strine"

27 May 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Yep, let �s talk Ozzie. The lazy english speaking buggers drop half the sounds anyway. Let �s make it official. We �re the best!

27 May 2015     

Jayho
Australia

I just read about this same topic  here

29 May 2015