Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > TRUE OR FALSE?    

TRUE OR FALSE?

pilarnavarro
Spain

TRUE OR FALSE?

Good evening dear friends around the world. Here I am again asking for help again.
My students have just been given the results of  their university entrance exam. Some of them are not happy with their results, we have been revising the exam together  because they want to have their exams corrected again. 

My question lies on the following extract from a reading comprehension test:

"Children in Britain  sit in front of a TV or computer screen for four-and a - half  hours a day, alarming research reveals".

The statement on this extract is:

"Children in the UK spend most of the day in front of a Tv or computer screen"  

Is it true or false? I find it a bit subjective.

Thanks for your help and attention, as always. 

15 Jun 2015      

almaz
United Kingdom

Well, do you think four hours and thirty minutes constitutes "most of the day"?

15 Jun 2015     

pilarnavarro
Spain

Of course I know it does not make most of the day.That is the answer my students gave. The word "alarming" might suggest it does though. But then if it is as you say, I also have to disagree with their marks. I am only trying to find a reasonable explanation.Thanks for your kind answer almaz .

15 Jun 2015     

rosanaingles
Spain

Hi Pilar, we were talking about the same statement last week at my school. We think that it �s false because 4h and a half are less than 12 h,that is, half day. But I agree with you, it is subjective so the teachers may have corrected according to the answers they were given. If your students get the answer, please let me know. Thanks

15 Jun 2015     

pilarnavarro
Spain

Yes Rosa, I see your point.
We haven �t got the answers yet. The matter is that after having revised one of my my student � s ( a good one) answers,  I �m afraid the answer that was given is True. This student has given me all his answers  except for the composition. If the answer is false, he would have 6. His final mark was just 6.25 . Only 0.25 in the composition of a good student?

Any way, if the answer is true I �m not happy either because his compositions have always been over 1.5. 

Very sad with the correction once more. 

15 Jun 2015