Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help for correcting students    

help for correcting students

melike_gizem
Turkey

help for correcting students

hi!
ı need some articles about differences between mistake and error in elt. and also ı need some information about correcting learners.

thanks in advance:)

22 Feb 2009      

libertybelle
United States

They are synonyms for the same thing.

22 Feb 2009     

demeuter
Belgium

It �s depends. Is there a  human action or not.

Errors occur, mistakes are made
mistakes involve human actions, errors can simply happen
machines have errors, humans make mistakes

Karina

22 Feb 2009     

brookee
United States

Hi melike88~~

In common or casual reference, error and mistake are synonymous, but in linguistic or language acquisition terminology, there is a distinction between a mistake and an error.

A mistake is a performance error or what is called in English a "slip up"--the person knows the correct word or form, but fails to use it for whatever reason.  All people make mistakes, including native and non-native speakers of a language.

An error is different.  Errors are noticeable deviations from the standard language used by a native speaker.  Errors may occur repeatedly and may not be recognized by the learner as an error.  Errors usually come from inter-/intra- lingual transfer problems.

The line between an error and a mistake is not always clear--even for the teacher.  But one easy way I look at it myself is that a learner may be able to catch, note and correct his own mistake, but will not be able to correct his own error, as an error comes from a lack or competence in a certain area.

Despite all this, teachers should communicate to learners that making errors and mistakes are natural and to be expected in the language learning process.  Help students with mistakes and errors by providing them with meaningful feedback, good modeling, high expectations and chances to practice new skills.

~~Brooke

22 Feb 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi, brookee
this is the first time I meet you here, I think, but must say you one thing:
"A BIG, BIG THANK YOU " for the short and clear explanation about the difference between error and mistake.
One, we can �t correct, because it is an error we commit, the other we can correct, we made it for any unimportant reason, but we know to do it the right way.
I just copied your post and pasted it on a word sheet, and it is going right to my "special theory problems " folder.
Thanks

22 Feb 2009     

brookee
United States

@ Olindalima~~

De nada...You �re welcome... (big smile).

(...and I �m very envious of your organizational skills...you have a "special theory problems" folder!!  Wow!!  I wish I could be so methodical in organizing my documents and pieces of work in such a sensible and time-saving way.  Kudos to you!)

~~Brooke

22 Feb 2009     

melike_gizem
Turkey

thanks lot for your replies:) what about correcting learners? should teachers correct students? how and why?

23 Feb 2009