Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > made of or made from    

made of or made from

nami310
Vietnam

made of or made from

How can I distinguish from "made of" and "made from"?
Which of these two sentences is correct?
1. In the 18th century jean cloth was made completely from cotton.
2. In the 18th century jean cloth was made completely of cotton.

Thank you very much! 

1 Aug 2015      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Take a look here:

1 Aug 2015     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, ascincoquinas,

I don �t quite agree with their first example. I guess some would say "made from fresh butter and eggs", but I would say "made with" in that case. I agree with the made from stones example, though.

Here �s my explanation of the difference:
Use "made of" if the�components blend together and are indistinguishable in the final product. Use "made from" if you can identify the components in the finished product. If there is only one component, which has�just changed in form, you can use either expression, with a�slight difference in meaning.
Cake is made of flour, sugar, eggs, butter and milk. You can also use "made with", which somewhat indicates that there is a process involved, not just a final product.
I�made a lamp from a pair of aluminum colanders. The holes in it shine pretty little lights on the walls and ceiling.
Now, if there is one component, here is how it works:
�Use "made of" if you are talking mostly about�what is in the product.
������� My scarf is made of wool.
�Use "made from" if you are implying the process in your statement.
��������My�scarf is made from�wool.
The statue was made of gold. (material)
The statue was made from gold. (process)�
You can �t say "Butter is made of cream", because the cream is no longer present in the butter.
Butter is made from cream, because the cream has been transformed in the process.
As usual, I �m sure I �ve given you more information than you are looking for.
So, both of your examples are right, but "made of cotton" is probably the more likely choice.
Bruce�

1 Aug 2015     

Apodo
Australia

I make my cakes with eggs and cream - not from, since there are other ingredients as well as the eggs and cream.
We usually call the fabric that jeans are made out of �Denim �.

1 Aug 2015     

kwsp
United States

nami310,

Here is the sentence you are asking about at the top of page three in this article "The History of Denim" http://www.levistrauss.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/A-Short-History-of-Denim2.pdf  By the 18th century jean cloth was made completely of cotton, and used to make men�s clothing, valued especially for its property of durability even after many washings. Denim�s popularity was also on the rise. It was stronger and more expensive than jean, and though the two fabrics were very similar in other ways, they did have one major difference: denim was made of one colored thread and one white thread; jean was woven of two threads of the same color.

1 Aug 2015     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, Apodo,

I overlooked the fact that "made with" is used for an incomplete list of ingredients/components.

Bruce 

1 Aug 2015