Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > WOD Word of the day Aug 17, 2015    

WOD Word of the day Aug 17, 2015

redcamarocruiser
United States

WOD Word of the day Aug 17, 2015

Thank you, Lynne, for choosing my daffynition.

The new word to define is obacerate. I �m looking forward to everyone �s weird, wonderful, humorous, thoughtful, or just plain crazy definitions--just remember that we are looking for fake, made-up definitions, not the true meaning of the word. 

--Mary

17 Aug 2015      

MoodyMoody
United States

Obacerate is a rather obscure and specialized word. It can be used as either a verb or a noun. As a noun, it is used to refer to a special compound used by the Yoruba when their chieftains are inaugurated into office. As a verb, it means to anoint the chieftain with the special wax mixture.

oba: Yoruba chieftain
cerate: waxy, resinous compound that can be spread without heat, but does not melt at body temperature.

17 Aug 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

It �s a political jargon, denoting the fact that Obama supports cut in military retirement pay. The term stems from Obama (obviously) + serrated knife.

17 Aug 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s to fawn all over somebody, as in laugh at their unfunny jokes, praise their ghastly dress sense and laud their good taste in all matters, when in reality they have no taste at all. Other expressions for to obacerate include to arse-lick and to brown nose. My sincere apologies to anyone who is in the least offended by any of this language. I am myself quite an accomplished obacerator. I didn �t get where I am today without a fair bit of obacerating, you know. 

18 Aug 2015     

isa2
Austria

Obacerate describes a Bavarian cheese speciality: soft, creamy, mellow cheeses, mixed with butter and spices such as sweet paprika, onions and caraway, best consumed with a pint of beer and a pretzel.
In German the word is Obatzter.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obatzda
"Slightly tipsy" overseas visitors of the Octoberfest in Munich slurred the word so that it became known as obacerate in English speaking countries.
      Obatzter-1.jpg

18 Aug 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Das Oktoberfest. O, Mein Gott! Ingrid, have mercy on us! :))) can �t wait!

18 Aug 2015