Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > īBack to School! ī ideas for your classroom.    

īBack to School! ī ideas for your classroom.

life_line
Ukraine

īBack to School! ī ideas for your classroom.

Hey everybody! The school start is just around the corner;) At least here ... Let īs share our favourite ice-breakers, games, projects etc. for this time of the year. Those who have already begun, please share your favourites as well, or the activities you don īt recommend to do.   Personally, I decided to use some new ones I īve found. Here they are.
Class Summer Puzzle  
During the first week of school have your class create a Summer Puzzle:
-Cut a poster up and give each student a piece of the puzzle (be sure to put a dot in one of the corners so that you know which side is up).
- The students put their name on it and decorate it with their summer stories/photos /holiday memories.
- A class puts the puzzle together (on a bulletin board or a wall).
- Students can then present their part of the puzzle, read about each other’s holiday, ask questions etc.
īDear Me,.. ī
 “Dear Me” is a letter students write to themselves on the first day of school.
- Inside the letter students discuss their feelings about starting a new school year, what they loved/hated about the previous school year, and what they expect to learn this year. The requirements can be changed.
- The teacher collects the letters to put them in individual envelopes. At the end of the school year, the teacher passes out students’ letters. The students read their own letter. This can lead to other activities such as sharing their letters, seeing if their opinions have changed a great deal. It is exciting to read all the letters to get to know the students better and what they expect. At the end of the academic year it is exciting to observe the students react to their own letters (and share with others).
 Summer Snowball Fight 
Students write three interesting/ funny/strange things about their summer on 3 pieces of paper. Alternatively, students can write 3 questions (Example: Where did you go this summer? What was the most interesting thing that happened to you this summer? What did you read this summer? What didn’t you do this summer? etc).
Students crumple the paper up into 3 “snowballs” and have one-two minutes to have a snowball fight (put on some music).
When time is called, everyone grabs threee closest snowballs, reads them to the class and tries to guess the person who wrote it (“I guess it’s Mark’s sentence/ holiday”) or answer the question (if you go for option 2).

If you really want to liven things up, join in the fight with your class!

What about your favourite activities? ;)

28 Aug 2015      

stessenspaola
Argentina

Icebrakers:
Word Cloud 
I ask the students to get in small groups and create a word cloud write 20 or 30 words or phrases that are important for them. It could be a song phrase, a date, a name, a number, a season, a place, anything they want. Then they come to the front and share their posters with the other groups. They have to use structures such as I like ... I love ...I have...... my favourite, depending on their level thay can expand more their answers. I īve done it with different groups and they love it. You ca also play background music to make it more lively and fun. 
If you have access to computers , students cancreate the word clouds with the computer, there computer programes that create them for free.

spider web

This game is played with a ball of wool. The teacher keeps one end of the wool in her/his hand introduces herself or himself and gives one piece of information about herself or himself that she/he believes is unusual (they can also share something they īve done in their holidays).The  she throws the ball of wool to any other person in the circle. The second person in turn holds the string does a similatr self-introduction and throws the ball again.

Finally a spider web is formed with the wool. After every one has finished, the web is unraveled by backtracking. The person who throws the ball of wool back recalls the name of the person to whom the ball of wool is thrown back.

Project and fun activitis

students can create a list of projects or fun activities they would like to do during the year. May be you can give some suggestions first and then they give their suggestions. In my class I start suggenting activities such cooking, or making videos,acting ect.  Then they can share their lists with other two groups and see what they have in common, or try to convince the others to do vote for their suggestions. In the end the whole class has to come up with  a single list between your suggestions and theirs. 

28 Aug 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Olia, you are a superstar! :)

Gorgeous ideas!

If I ever take up teaching again, your ideas will be most probably put into practice.

Thanks a lot.

Giorgi 

28 Aug 2015     

valodra
France

Great post! Thank you so much!

I īll go for the "Dear me.." activity ;-)))

I once tried the "time capsule", & it was great! I had my 14-year-old students write a message /fill in a form about themselves at the beginning of the school year ( What I like most / I would like to be a .../ My favourite song/artist/movie, my expériences, etc! ) . We put them into small plastic bottles. At the end of the school year, I gave the "bottles" back, & the kids were amazed when reading their answers almost  a year before : they had  changed so much ! ...It was great because we could have exchanges about their feelings, school,the songs they used to like,  what they expected in life..., etc !
This year, I īll use your "Dear me..." activity with the younger ones....& I īll let you know! ;-))
Have a great new school year,
Val 

28 Aug 2015     

SaraMariam
United States

I just saw a teacher who (I thought) had a great idea ... at the end of the school year, she had her students write a letter (and decorate them) to the new students that would be coming next year. Lovely letters, that would make the kids less anxious about the new environment .. and who doesn īt love to receive letters, right? So at the beginning of the new school year she made something like a welcome set for each kid with a letter from an "old" student.  Looked pretty awesome. If you teach small kids, can be also drawing a picture etc. Easy to adapt for different ages.

I loooove the snowball fight idea, Olia!!! Brilliant and sounds like tons of fun. Definitely something Iīll try this year <3

28 Aug 2015     

orly100
Israel

Hi
I īll go for Snowball Fight, love the idea sounds like fun.
I use: Class Tools  my example (you can use mine or make your own)
Orly 

29 Aug 2015     

beefeater
Albania

Thank you all for your amazing ideas!!!THANKS

6 Sep 2015     

samiaa71
Australia

Good ideas thanx

25 Jan 2016