Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > F-word worksheet    

F-word worksheet

marta73
Spain

F-word worksheet

Well, well, so the F-word worksheet has now become an issue... Why did I upload it? I found the video on youtube and the speech was so witty and well-built... Since the worksheet is thought as a LISTENING exercise,Zora, of course the text is copied word by word.
The original speech was written, apparently,by the Monty Python, although they never performed it.Why? It would be a very interesting topic for discussion. Then I heard a university professor  using the same speech in his lectures, and in Spain there�s also an article on a similar word ( written by a member of our Royal Academy of the Language, a very formal and earnest organization), which didn�t cause  much trouble. Irreverence is part of our developement as human beings, I think.
When we teach a language, we teach a language, everything included. If I go to the doctor in an English speaking country I need to know the English words for the different parts of my body ( all of them!), if I stay in an English speaking country, I need to understand what�s going on, and that includes, whether we like it or not, swear words. I can understand taboo words and yet be able to speak with a rich and polished lexicon ( at least in my mother language.jajaja).
I think that what�s highly offensive is the intention behind the words, not the words themselves.Besides, we are all adults here. If you think this worksheet is not appropriate for your students, don�t use it. I�ve used it with my 17 year-old pupils and I used Sesame Street videos with my 11-year-old ones. Step by step. don�t you think?
Anyway, if you think there should be some " etiquette rules" for the ws uploaded, you should make a serious proposal to Victor. However, I think it will be difficult to reach an agreement on what can be considered offensive. I don�t want to waste my time on that. If I don�t like a ws, I ignore it and that�s it. The rest of you are free to act as you like.
It�s Friday! Have a nice weekend!!!

3 Oct 2008      

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi Marta,

I quite agree with you.

The words in themselves are not offensive but the way we use them and many times we do not need offensive words  to be offensive.
So everything here is relative.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is I think it impossible to state what should be uploaded and what shouldn�t.
As I commented in a previous post, all of us are  very different from each other and that has to be with the different cultures we are representing.
What is natural for some is not for others so ...the best thing is to be tolerant and accept we do not feel and think  in the same way.

Personally, I am frequently questioned by my students on the use of strong language. That is what they learn without effort!    ...and I am always interested  in reading, learning more

Like it or not, it is part of real life...and every day more.

Smile Tere

3 Oct 2008     

miss_marina...
Chile

I agree with Marta!! You�ve said it!! Clap
HAVE A NICE WEEKEND!!!

3 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Marta,

I would hate for you to think that anyone was attacking you.
I can completely understand why you would have uploaded such a worksheet, and would not like to start �sensoring� our worksheets.  As you all say everyone has different opinions.  My concern is that people are not aware of quite how offensive his term is.  I often hear people use it with no understanding of how vulgar they sound. 

I hope you have a wonderful weekend Marta - and I look forward to seeing your next contribution- it is always good to see healthy debate on such issues.

3 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, All
I don�t know why you are using two different threads to discuss the same topic.

Anyway...

I think the real question is not what should be or should not be uploaded here because I agree with you we are all adults here and we have the faculty of choosing. Every one of course is free to download what he thinks is suitable for his teaching and let the rest.
The real question is since we are all (or at least the biggest majority) teacher of ESL/ESL dealing mostly with very young children and teens what are we allowed by morality first to teach these children? and what for?

Frankly Marta, Do you really think that going to the doctor, booking for a trip or holding a business conversation needs that we know about these F*words? Do you really think that we can put the F*word in the same scale as headache, passport, transaction...?

I don�t agree with you.
Offensive words are offensive whatever the way we pronounce them.
I agree with you.
Common words can be very offensive because of the way they are used or pronounced.

3 Oct 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Dear goodnesses

I teach people of all ages what means I also have young students and adults and I could see several teachers here do the same.
Those students in upper-intermediate and advanced levels do want to know their use as those words are becoming-unfortunately- every day language today.
As teachers of English, we have to make their use as clear as possible.
I have frequently seen how they  just repeat what they have heard in a film without knowing the real meaning...until somebody (our job) makes it clear.

Of course, that worksheet was not meant for kids or teens. You can see it clearly from its presentation.

Smile...life is short and beautiful!  Big smile

3 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Sorry but for very young people as well as for adults the very first time they heard such words, they know very well what they mean and what they imply. Because wherever and whenever these words are used the context they used in let you know at least they used to offend to hurt to be rude.
Young or adult do not need me to explain what the point is.

Sorry I don�t think tolerating or accepting such language will make life easier or more difficult.
There are other ways to smile to life surely not vulgarity.

4 Oct 2008     

marta73
Spain

Hi, everybody! thanks for your comments, no matter if we agree or not. It�s enriching anyway. Vickii, no offence at all.
Goodnesses, I probably started a new thread by mistake. I keep on forgetting that you have to enter the right topic to reply.
What I said about going to the doctor and naming parts of body was related to another ws dealing with genitals. which I really didn�t find inappropriate.
As for the F ws, well, I know it�s an offensive word, but it�s there, in a lot of films people watch, in songs they listen to, in everyday life...and of course, they want to know about it. I think it�s better to approach this kind of things with a sense of humour,  explain the contexts where the words occur and the effect they can cause. Although it may seem so, I don�t encourage Ss to use the word, and  they can recognize the humorous tinge the text implies. None of my students has ever used that word to address me nor their classmates, and I always remark the fact that non-native people sound so ridiculous when they use swear words in a foreign language. Anyway, we really had a light-hearted laugh when we worked with this ws.
I definitely love this site. I�m learning a lot from all of you. Smile

4 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

When the circumstances bring you to deal with such offensive words I agree with you that " it�s better to approach this kind of things with a sense of humor,  explain the contexts where the words occur and the effect they can cause." but from this to prepare a lesson deliberately can only lead to making serious things commonplace. I don�t think this would arrange things in the society in any way.

I think the reason why the morality is tumbling in the world is that some day some people started innocently, I suppose, to think that tolerating things because they aren�t "so" harmful will save the society/the world.

Anything when exaggerated will only lead to the opposite expected effects even tolerance.

4 Oct 2008     

tomos
United Kingdom

hi peeps,
just wanted to add to my original comment on the F**k ws. 
 For personal use I thought it was Brilliant even discussed it with my own teenagers and watched the video although they had seen it before. 
My original comment was only to highlight, in case there was any confusion, the fact that the word F**K is considered highly offensive whether you direct it at someone or if you just use it in passing.
Words like this are also referred to foul or "BAD LANGUAGE" and you wouldn�t teach BAD grammar now would you?
Of course learners are going to be interested in these taboo words and I agree that they should be addressed and that the ws should be regarded as what it is an old Monty Python WIND UP/JOKE and not a lesson in its entirety.
 I am from a Welsh speaking community and  I teach ESOL and  I have on a few occasions  been asked for the Welsh translation of this and many other offensive words this I have done but only with a word of caution in its/their use.
If you ever have the opportunity to visit Wales there�s one thing for sure  by the time you leave you will be able to say "F**K  and many other obscenities in Welsh.
Now there�s an idea for a worksheet.

hwyl
tomos

4 Oct 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I do not agree they know what those words mean. Not all of them do. As it also happens in their mother tongue, they keep repeating things they never dared to ask about without knowing what  "exactly" them mean.
And  for the young and adult who ask to know, you have to give answers, whether you like it or not.

I am not that  "modern"  but I am open-minded.
When kids ask me about those words, I simply say "First learn to speak, then we�ll talk", but you cannot tell that to a grown up!

I am a defender of our language, whatever it is -my mother tongue or English.
I keep trying to make them understand the importance of being able to express themselves correctly in both and showing how poor language becomes when words are replaced by those on fashion -strong language or not.

So...it is not a question of allowing. I is a question of educating and not escaping taboos thus leaving them in ignorance or challenging them to use what we do not like.

By prohibiting you get nothing but more interest on the subject.
The key is in having how to deal with those things, devoting them the time they deserve.
No more, no less.

Anyway, even if I disagreed, I would not expects others to.
We are all different and we should respect other�s ideas.

4 Oct 2008     

1    2    Next >