Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > so do I/ so have I/ so can I/so am I etc    

so do I/ so have I/ so can I/so am I etc

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

so do I/ so have I/ so can I/so am I etc

Hi all

I actually have a couple of questions I need answers to, please.

1. I know that the less formal way of saying "so do I" is simply "me too", however, I don �t know how to explain when to use so do I or other variations. (I have a feeling it �s got something to do with the verbs/modals but I �m not sure)

I have got my exercise book - So have I
I can go to the movies - So can I
I need a sleep - So do I 
I am going now - So am I 

2 .  How do I explain that although both are present simple (in the �if � subordinating clause), only the second answer of the following is the correct one?

1)  What will happen if my parachute is not open. 
2)  What will happen if my parachute doesn �t open. 

Thanks, thanks and more thanks!!!!

Terri 

11 Nov 2015      

Mariethe House
France

Hi terri!

An attempt to answer your second question:
In the first sentence, �open � is an adjective  , not a verb and the sentence implies that your parachute is open  before you jump!!Confused
In the second sentence, �open � is a verb and implies the correct action of opening while you are going down in your parachute!Smile
I am not sure this is very clear!Ermm
I hope you �re not doing such dangerous sports!Wink

12 Nov 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Terri, regarding your first question: note that where there �s an auxiliary (have, can, am) in the first sentence, it is repeated in the so clause, but where there �s no auxiliary, you use the appropriate form of do.

Incidentally, have and be, whether they �re auxiliary or not, are repeated after so (I have a lovely wife – So have I; I �m happy – So am I)

12 Nov 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

When it comes to "have" meaning "own/posses" an American would prefer to say "so do I". E.g. "I have a nice camera. So do I." A British speaker might use either forms. " so do I / so have I"

12 Nov 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Of course, Terri, you can also use do after non-auxiliary have � as I�m sure you�re aware.

12 Nov 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Gi2gi

I think you mean whether have got / has got  or have/has  is used in the sentence:
He has got a nice car, so have I
He has a nice car, so do I

12 Nov 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

gharbi2009,

In both of those instances, �so do I � will be uttered. 

�He �s got a nice car. And so do I! � 

Personally, I don �t like it, but what can you do?  

12 Nov 2015     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Thank you cuniffe, almaz, ghargi2009, Gi2gi and Mariethe House for your assistance.  It is always a great comfort to know that when I require help, I can trust the members of eslprintables to come up trumps!!!!!

Hugs

Terri 

13 Nov 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Hi cunliffe!
 I didn �t know it is an exception in this case. Thanks for explaining. Have got and have differ in the negative and interrogative forms and generally speaking inversion follows the rules of interrogative forms. That �s why, I thought the two sentences should have different inversion forms

13 Nov 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi gharbi,

Being a native, I �m not so good with rules... They probably should have different forms. I always use (and teach) �have � and I agree with Giorgi that the �do � is more American usage, but so many of the youngsters here are adopting American speak. And so much is ungrammatical, but we have to accept it!

Not that this has anything much to do with dear Terri �s original question! 

Have a nice weekend, all.  

13 Nov 2015