Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > A Chic Approach to the Chaos of CH    

A Chic Approach to the Chaos of CH

Hbomb84
Spain

A Chic Approach to the Chaos of CH

I �ve just put up another new lesson plan/activity all about working our way around the problems with CH and the sounds it likes to make. 

Go ahead have a look. Let me know what you think.  

There are plenty more ideas to make your lesson plans leading up to Christmas and beyond. 

11 Dec 2015      

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Well I like it, but I miss Alex �s pronunciation of �ch � North of Berwick-on-Tweed

I guess if you �re in Spain that �s exactly the sound you �re trying to get them NOT to use, right?

I think using colours is very smart. I �m a big believer in the power of visuals to reinforce messages and to help recall.

Tap

11 Dec 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Ochone!

Our Hibernian cousins have more or less the same pronunciation (fricative /x/). I only just discovered that there are at least three nuances in the pronunciation of the anglicised word �lough � (cognate with Scottish �loch �) � depending on whether you come from Ulster, Connaught or Munster:

Just remembered: I�ve always had a wee affection for Liverpool possibly because Liverpudlians are also likely to use the voiceless fricative /x/ � due presumably to the massive immigration from Ireland in the 19th century after the Famine (although my daughter who lived there for a couple of years also ascribes it to the Welsh influence- Wales isn�t too far away). Just listen to some of the early interviews with the Beatles or other Merseybeaters.

11 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

I had to look "ochone � up! Oxforddictionaries.com think it rhymes with �trombone �, which sounds suspect to me.

Are there many other words with the fricative /x/ that have passed into usage outside Scotland from Gaelic? I always use the �loch � example, but there must be more?

Then I found a recording from 1901 (1901!!!) Joseph O � Mara - Ochone When I Used To Be Young

1901! And you can just press a button wherever you are and listen to it! It �s like time travel and omnipresence rolled into one for the price of a monthly payment to your ISP.

Tap

11 Dec 2015