Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Need to upgrade your students writing    

Need to upgrade your students writing

Hbomb84
Spain

Need to upgrade your students writing

After spending the last 9 years of my life complaining that students writing isn �t ok and that they really should pay more attention in class, read examples, use materials provided and so on. I �ve finally found two worksheets that have started to make a little bit of difference in expanding thier vocabulary. Baby steps, right?

Anyway, I �ve posted both of them here and if the people who made them  are out there, somewhere. I would like to give you a massive kiss.
Thank you so much.

Enjoy 

14 Dec 2015      

joannajs
Poland

Good, thanx! I �ve been handing similar handouts to my students, too. The question is that they don �t always use them. Sometimes I feel they think they are doing me a favour they write their assignments - I �m talking here about exam classes - FCE, CAE. They are convinced that if they can answer the question, they will manage somehow and they do - getting borderline grades especially for range of grammar and vocab. Hope that helps a little ;-)

14 Dec 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Thanks, Harry.

Good point, Joanna. Couldn�t agree more. It obviously depends on how motivated your students are, but there are so many other variables to be taken into account.

I�ve used this type of chart before and I find them incredibly helpful, but some of the problems I�ve had with students relate to usage areas like nuance and collocation. I used to work (occasionally still do) with postgraduate students who needed to pass IELTS or IELTS-related exams. Paraphrasing is a major part of this and I used to use charts and diagrams based on lexical/semantic fields to increase vocabulary range. But I found my students tended to use the words indiscriminately � as if they all meant the same thing (e.g. from the worksheet Harry links to:  �he ran across the road� = �he hustled across the road� � ?). Probably my fault initially for not emphasising the nuances enough, but I found one of the best ways for them to discover this for themselves was to use something they were familiar with such as a flow chart: "Am I happy? �> YES?NO? � how happy?�> etc".

14 Dec 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Actually Hbomb84, the first one is a commercially produced chart.  It �s called Other ways to say.  If you google it you �ll see some of the places where you can buy it. I �ve seen it on the walls in some of the schools I used to teach at.

Cheers

Jayho

14 Dec 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I used to teach in the top room of a beautiful Victorian villa. The building was condemned and so I decided to put displays directly onto the wall. Well, it was due to be demolished... I took a whole wall for �Alternatives to nice �. A sort of spider chart, with sub categories - for describing food, the weather, clothes, people etc... I did it in permanent thick black marker pen. Then, the building was reprieved and my room became an office. Three coats of paint later, my display was still very visible... I hope those admin workers learned from it. I might upload it here as a ws...
Edit: I don�t know why there�s a great gap after this... What did I do???

16 Dec 2015