Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Synonyms of American    

Synonyms of American

ssrl10
Spain

Synonyms of American

Hello Everybody!
One of my pupils has asked me if there is another word to refer to USA citizens apart from American. I have looked it up in several dictionaries but I haven�t found any. Apart from saying USA citizen, is there another way of writing American in a composition without sounding misleading (I mean, meaning just USA citizens and not people from the whole continent, as the word suggests). Thanks in advance.

26 Feb 2009      

Zora
Canada

American is correct and nobody thinks (in English anyways) that you are referring to anything but the "Americans" from the States... for people of the continent, we �d say "North Americans"..."South Americans" .. etc...

It �s sounds misleading to Spanish people because "americanos" could be people from North or South America or the Americans from the USA... but in English - "Americans" are from the States... and nowhere else...

26 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

People ask me- Are you America?  I say no, I �m Canadian. 

Then they start - but Canada is in North America - so you are an American. 

Big problem, because Canadians hate being called Americans. 

I agree that most people understand that being American means being from the U.S. of A.

26 Feb 2009     

ssrl10
Spain

Then, which word would you use to refer to people from all the continent? We distinguish people from the whole country from people from the States and we don�t use the term North American because it refers to people from Canada,too. I know that when you speak there is no confussion. I mean when we are writing or reading a book. My pupil was seeking for a word that refers to people from the USA only and she did not like my answer ( as I said that I only knew the word American). I know it may sound silly for native speakers but pupils always think that there is a lack of knowledge on the teacher�s side). What is more, in classes with people from South America they tend to find the term offensive.
It is always difficult to teach distinctions that exist in your language but don�t exist in other languages.
Doesn�t the term American sound offensive to people from Canada? I am not looking for controversy. I just want to know out of curiosity. They are questions that you don�t think of till students come up with them in class and you don�t know what to say.
Thanks for your answers

26 Feb 2009     

ssrl10
Spain

eng 789, You wrote my reply when I was writing mine.
When I say offensive I mean that they think that all people from American should be called Americans and people from the USA should be called somewhat else.
How do people from Canada like to be called, appart from Canadian?

26 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

I don �t want to step on any American toes, but sometimes people refer to Canada as just an extra State of the U.S.  -  Canadians prefer to keep their own identity.
I remember back in the late sixtys and seventys that American kids that were backpacking through Europe used to put Canadian flags on their packs because they didn �t want people to know they were American.  It had to do a bit with politics - Vietnam etc.

Canadians are sometimes called Canuks.   

26 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

Americans are sometimes called Yankies although I haven �t heard that term for a while.

YANKEE - (Dictionary entry)
A native or inhabitant of New England OR of a northern U.S. state, especially a Union soldier during the Civil War OR of the United States.

The origin of Yankee has been the subject of much debate, but the most likely source is the Dutch name Janke, meaning �little Jan � or �little John, � a nickname that dates back to the 1680s. Perhaps because it was used as the name of pirates, the name Yankee came to be used as a term of contempt. It was used this way in the 1750s by General James Wolfe, the British general who secured British domination of North America by defeating the French at Quebec. The name may have been applied to New Englanders as an extension of an original use referring to Dutch settlers living along the Hudson River. Whatever the reason, Yankee is first recorded in 1765 as a name for an inhabitant of New England. The first recorded use of the term by the British to refer to Americans in general appears in the 1780s, in a letter by Lord Horatio Nelson, no less. Around the same time it began to be abbreviated to Yank. During the American Revolution, American soldiers adopted this term of derision as a term of national pride. The derisive use nonetheless remained alive and even intensified in the South during the Civil War, when it referred not to all Americans but to those loyal to the Union. Now the term carries less emotion except of course for baseball fans !!!

26 Feb 2009     

chobby
Mexico

Don �t forget that Mexico is also North America so we are also northamericans, anyway in Mexico we have some funny ways to called the americans from USA and I don �t mean to offend anybody we called them gringos or gabachos.

Greetings from Mexico

26 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

Chobby - what do you call Canadians?

26 Feb 2009     

chobby
Mexico

eng789:

I guess just Canadians or also northamericans

26 Feb 2009     

ssrl10
Spain

GABACHOS? That�s the word we use in Spain for French people. I new the word yankee but I thought it was offensive. That�s weird how words have different connotations not only in different languages but also within speakers of the same language!

26 Feb 2009     

1    2    3    Next >