Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > When teaching is frustrating...    

When teaching is frustrating...

Salenka
Brazil

When teaching is frustrating...

I teach basic english to a sweet, healthy and very communicative 11 years old girl, who seems to be eager to learn english. But... I have realised a notorious difficulty of her to get the most elementary points of the language.

Even after two classes about Pronouns and Simple Present of verb To Be, she couldn �t do her homework properly. It �s like she can �t set pronouns as a category and verb as another category in her head, or understand the difference between them. And she can never remember the meaning of words like "I" and "and" - for mentioning just the most basic ones.

That �s really frustrating, because I know I �m not really bad at teaching. I �m not a professional teacher but I have taught adults before in a variety of school subjects and I have always heard I �m really patient and didactic.

I was even concerned about a supposed dyslexia of her, however I haven �t heard about any troubles of her on reading or writing in her native tongue, thus I think fortunately it �s not the case.

So I ask you teachers: is it a regular profile of a absolute beginner kid? How is the best way to deal with this issue?

I have made a worksheet with 30 personal pronouns exercises for her to "train" literally speaking. Is it a good way to make a kid memorize words and meanings? I meet her once a week, so we don �t have much time together. I use to left 3 or 4 light worksheets for her to work on during the week. Should I make them heavier?

Looking foward for your opinions.

If you want, feel free email me: [email protected]

Thanks!

28 Feb 2009      

libertybelle
United States

I �m off to bed - but I would like to ask you why is it so important this young person needs to know this?
I teach my children to speak before I start putting grammatical names on the elements of speech.
Everyone on Earth learnt a language by imitation, not by knowing verb tenses and pronouns.
If you re-enforce language orally now, later on can explain the grammatical elements.

At my teacher �s college we learned to teach speaking, reading and comprehension long before we ever taught grammar.

Language is all about communication, not necessarily knowing your verbs and tenses.
Learning through play, songs, conversation, games, pictures and films are what usually work for me and I �ve been a teacher for 25 years.
Start with the "whole" and later do the elements, in my opinion.

L

28 Feb 2009     

mylena87
Brazil

well... i would advise  u trying to teach without telling her what u re teaching...  just teach her how to communicate and she ll end up learning the gammar point... i have an adult student who is like that...if i say "its red" and ask what color is it, she says "it�s blue"!!! And i figure out it happens cause she doesnt like English n that �s it! I had had some problems like this one with children too and this method worked pretty well! About her homework i think its enough cause if u give too much she can get frustrated  n desmotivated. Try to alternate between easy and difficult ones so she ll be excited when she realizes she can do it!!! And the most important im my opinion... never speak in Portuguese!!! my experience has shown me that its possible even with the ones who has never learned even a little bit of English in their lives! Shes very young so try to motivate her enthusiasm...  bring pics... if u have already been in an English Spoken Country bring  her some curiosities, souviniers and plenty of games!! all kind!!some websites show u different games focus.. so u could start ur class with a warm up from the last one (correcting homework  4 eg), then introduce the new vocab/grammar; play a comprehention game; right after a communication game and finish ur class with homework !
Doesnt matter ur teaching way i think the most important for this age is not  telling her what is that grammar!!!just practice!! cause normally she doesnt know it even in port by name....

i hope i could help u in some way.. anything feel free to add me in msn or send me emails!!!

kisses
xoxoxo

28 Feb 2009     

bambo
Albania

hi,  the best way is repeating repeating and MIMING ! Let her go round the room and play.
Ask her to bring two toys - "she" and "he" and play with them.
He is happy. She is happy. He is big. She is small. They are toys.
They are sitting on the desk. They are dancing... Let her show the actions.

When you teach present continuous, always mime the actions as well.
EG: I am singing. (and sing the sentence). and then ask her to repeat Yes, you are singing... and so on...

Give her SHORT homework (6sentences) - 2-3 exercises on differrent topics and ALWAYS include pictures ! Bring her some little presents - stickers, pencil, when she finishes the homework without mistake...

Don �t worry, if she is eager to learn and clever, she will be able to improve...

Remember, she is a kid, so the learning must be fun... She should meet you with a smile on her lips. She should like you... So be always nice to her and she will try to do her best...

Remember, repeat everything many times. Let her speak a lot and let her read simple stories with pictures. You can find everything on this webpage...

Wish you good luck.

28 Feb 2009     

SusanBrown
Netherlands

I agree with Liberty..besides it is impossible teaching English like Liberty told us.(maybe someday - in our dreams all our schools here will offer speaking before all...)..in our public schools in Brazil...the reality is totally different...we should of course..first of all show them the WHOLE thing about the language and later you should separate it in small pieces...unfortunately we in Brazil are used and trained to get starting in small pieces first...(just grammar topics) to go later for the whole thing...if we have real conditions..you know.....

That is why in Brazil almost no one speaks English.on the streets...the few ones... that do...had to do a hard work by themselves after graduation or going to the other countries, paying lots of money or something like that to really learn it ....

Brazilians use to hate English and they just learn how to read, how to understand texts and headlines because they are obligated to do it... that is all we can teach them....no support or good real conditions at public schools in teaching speaking abilities.(we have almost 50 students in a classroom with 2 classes per week only to teach all the subjects... = 80 classes per year) so...it is impossible with this few classes teach them something...more...than the VERB "BE" sometimes..

.....because of this the students..do not learn all the abilities..... sometimes they learn how to write small texts but no SPEAKING and no talking..there are no conversational classes in public Brazilians schools.even for English teachers.... when they finish the graduation (University - 5 years studying English) they leave it without knowing all those 4 abilities.... they just learn how to read..how to understand and nothing more...like their students....speaking and talking abilities are left behind....and if you want to speak English like Americans or British people do you must study 3 or 4 years more paying a lot of money by yourself to learning it...

the most English teachers in Brazil NEVER speak English..inside the classrooms.. because they do not know it..and never practice it...I can understand the difficulties that this teacher here is passing through with her student..it is a vicious here teaching English like this....she is trying....but that is our reality.... they teach just grammar...topics..in separated modules no sense for the learners... no contextualization........ and the students NEVER will learn it all completely or be motivated enough how they should....our system is so boring, medieval and fail..that is why we have lots of PRIVATE English schools too...and they are not so good either..... pity...but it is the only one bad system we have...Smileso the frustrations come to our mind and soul...It is hard..I feel the same sometimes..my advice is : Breathe deeply, watch a good movie, relax your mind and try one more time.do it with love and patience....NEVER GIVE UP! Teaching can be so stimulating too.. You must see the both sides..and take the best of each one..GOOD LUCK!Wink

28 Feb 2009     

Cassy
Brazil

I couldn�t agree more, Suzy

28 Feb 2009     

Faurfab
France

I have been teaching dyslexic pupils in a special unit for a few years now and I have had to think differently my lessons because their minds don �t work the same as the others. They are as intelligent but you have to find other ways to teach them!
First, we work orally a lot because writing or reading is a real big problem for them. So thanks to powerpoint diapos, pictures, games (dominoes, board games, memos, bingos...) I introduce the vocabulary and the new structure. I have to repeat and repeat because they often have memory problems. Then when I think they remember the words or understand the grammar point we start the writing part. I use a lot of pictures to help them remember.
For example for the subject pronouns, I associate each of them with a special clipart that I will always use afterwards ( she = a girl).
I try not to use to many words to explain. It must be very easy and clear. They can �t understand if they have first to understand the rule, then the instructions. I have to simplifly a lot and I go step by step very slowly. Time is very important. They need more time than the others.
I could speak for hours telling you what I have learned until now ...
So if you want to know more, don �t hesitate to contact me.

28 Feb 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

I admire you Faurfab, I HOPE I be a great teacher as you with such experience one day. I �ve never taught any student with dyslexic ... but the goal I see myself as a teacher in the future is exacllty that. What you do. Being able to TEACH whoever that can be taught anything.
I congratulate your work and experiences like yours and many of other teachers here is the thing that inspires me everyday in my brand new profession which Im working on day by day.

Miss Melissa. Hug

(sorry about grammar/spelling/coherence erros...its 2am now and Im very tired)

28 Feb 2009     

chobby
Mexico

Hello colleagues:

After reading some of the post by my Brazilian colleagues, I couldn �t be more simpathetic about your situation as I think we shared similar problems in my country, and it is probably the same in Latinamerica, our school system is obsolete, archaic.

However we as teachers have to be optimistic in our job, we have to love what we do to put all energy and enthusiasm in the classroom, it is true that there are programs that we have to follow during the school year to cover a series of "grammar topics" as it is thaught the English in our schools like you said the pieces and not the whole picture as it should be.

However you can dictate your class the way you want it to be, I know many English teachers in Mexico don �t speak the language fluently that �s why they cannot speak in the classroom, in the other hand in my case I �m so much better speaking than writing on in grammar so that �s why I follow like Lisa said; I´ve tried to use English in the classroom as much as posible and even outside of it when I ran into students I talk to them in English so they don �t forget whom they are talking to.

What I �m saying is you should try to exploit your strongest abilities in the classroom, if you are better in speaking use that, or perhaps writing, reading, listening, anyway I think that just teaching the grammar without a context on how to use it like  a function of the language;it is pointless, you can �t teach verbs tenses or any other thing without having a common aplication for it, so I �m sure with readings, showing flashcards, games, singing, or any other fun activities is much better than just concentrating on grammar exercises, that would probably be the end of the class just for assessing what the students have learnt.

I �m sure that for beginners the best is also lots of choral repetitions, using mimic, gestures, and other forms of communication, I remember how I learned my first words of English, the same way of my mother tongue by repeating others, then once you have a solid base you can start to build from there, grammar, reading, writing, etc

28 Feb 2009     

Salenka
Brazil

Hi, thank you all for your opinions and for sharing your experiences.
I see the point of each one and I can just agree with them - mainly with the importance of the oral emphasis we should apply to the classes.
The advices and understanding surely motivates me to try to do better.
Thanks again!
xoxoxo

2 Mar 2009