Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Apostrophe is a happy girl!    

Apostrophe is a happy girl!

papadeli
Greece

Apostrophe is a happy girl!

Who do you think the apostrophe is? The marking of the omission of one or more letters? Come on! It �s 2016! It �s not a secret any more... Apostrophe is a girl! A happy one! I �m not lying! Have a look!

If you want to see more of my ideas have a look at 
  1. Papadeli Language School
  2. My page on fb
  3. English Tricks 4U

Greetings from Greece,

Sophia

5 Mar 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

So innovative and exciting! This visual approach with fictional characters is excellent. I also love the sentence grids... and cashew nuts as apostrophes! Thank you for sharing your great resources. 

6 Mar 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

She�s a fascinating little character* and it�s pleasantly appropriate that a teacher from Greece should highlight her in such an entertaining way. Is the word itself feminine in its original Greek?

*There�s at least one renowned linguist and grammarian who for years has been trying to have the apostrophe recognised as the 27th letter of the English alphabet. I�m not so sure, but see here:

6 Mar 2016     

oxXSABXxo
Germany

What an excellent site you �ve there, with many great resources and ideas! Thank you ever soo much for sharing all of that with us!
Keep doing this way as it is just fantastic! Abigail.

6 Mar 2016     

EstherLee76
Peru

It �s good to see you Sophia!  Your site is AMAZING!  I am going to start using some of your ideas right away.

I can �t find your reference to Apostrophe. Is it me?  Where should I look?

Thanks a million and keep up the good work! 

6 Mar 2016     

papadeli
Greece

Thank you all for your warm comments. The visual approach, cunliffe, is my way. I �ve been drawing for a long time and now I have the whole grammar tale. Unfortunately, I don �t have time to get it in a book somehow. But I do have posts on my fb pages, at least once a day. I also had two seminars on my work this year. Teachers seem to be interested in my visuals.

almaz, Apostrophe is feminine in Greek. That �s why I present her as a happy girl. It �s a beautiful story. All letters are characters, produce different sounds when they hang around with others, produce grammar rules... Kids seem to absorb every second of the presentation, production and practice. I also use interactive notebooks as the one you can see in the picture.

EstherLee76, there �s no reference to Apostrophe in my blog. Haven �t had the time to describe it and upload several pictures... Hope I will in the future. But, as you can see in the picture, letters form words. In this picture, the teachers form the verb WATCH. Apostrophe is a happy girl, that wants to connect words, make them friends and become a new family. She �s a bit naughty , though, because she gets rid of other characters and takes their place...

Facebook seems to be faster than my blog. I keep posting my ideas, almost once a day. You �ll find a lot of pictures and videos of my work there.

Thanks again for your kind comments.

Hugs from Athens!

6 Mar 2016     

abitano
Argentina

I �m definitely going to explore the material you are sharing! It looks amazing! Thank you, Sophia!

7 Mar 2016