Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How to present Present Perfect to a student with ADHD that doesn īt know the previous grammatical structures.    

How to present Present Perfect to a student with ADHD that doesn īt know the previous grammatical structures.

anuska8
Spain

How to present Present Perfect to a student with ADHD that doesn īt know the previous grammatical structures.

Hi!

I think that the title about my problem is enought to know in what it consists.
I have to say that I give this pupil personal classroom twice a week (one hour each) and now he is studying present perfect in the school. He is 10 years old but with an infant character. 
Well, he doesn īt know the previous grammatical structures as well as he doesn īt make a difference between them.
But the next exam at the school will be about present perfect, so I don īt know what to do in order to pass it.
On the other hand, nowdays the pupils y particularly nervious due to the disorder that i have mencioned, then his concentration is low, absent-minded.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Ana. 

9 Mar 2016      

joannajs
Poland

Does he know irregular verbs? If not you are in big trouble, so let īs keep fingers crossed that he does. Just to revise some of our colleagues created some brilliant games you can use, or for Past Participle you can try this: HUMAN CANNONBALL - just great and competitive!
 letshavefunwithenglish.com/games/irregular_verbs/past_participles/index.html

It īs just Present Perfect so the only thing he heeds to master is that HAS goes with s/he and HAVE with everything else. I would perhaps come up with some cut out parts of sentences which he could put together to start with.  
And then try to drill...

Surely, it īs not my business but your and his life would be so much easier if he received medication he needs. With diagnosed ADHD and problems with concentration/short attention span in my country children consult a psychiatrist who can prescribe appropriate drugs that DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. My daughter has ADD and it īs huge to see how she works with and without her medicine (in her case Concerta or Medikinet). Perhaps it īs worth subtly hinting it to the parents? 

9 Mar 2016     

douglas
United States

I would just have him constantly speak/answer in present perfect (even in the wrong context) so that the structure is "programmed into his brain"--it is too short notice to try and teach all the structures at this point.

11 Mar 2016