Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > past perfect or past simple with the adverb "before"    

past perfect or past simple with the adverb "before"

Ruwayda37
Egypt

past perfect or past simple with the adverb "before"

Hello dear colleagues,
Could you clarify which sentence is correct and why or if both of them are correct:

1. I didn �t see him before.
2. I hadn �t seen him before.
                                                            Thank you 

9 Mar 2016      

yanogator
United States

The first isn �t correct because simple past is for a specific time, and "before" is a general time.

The second is correct in specific contexts.

Remember that past perfect is for something that happened before something else in the past. 

I didn �t know that was her husband because I hadn �t seen him before.

The man didn �t look familiar because I hadn �t seen him before.

A:  Why didn �t you invite my cousin in when he came to the door?
B:  Oh, was that your cousin? I hadn �t seen him before.

Bruce 

9 Mar 2016     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thanks a lot for your clarification. I understand now but I wonder why this example "He didn �t like tomatoes before" was written here
 http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/simplepast.html
                                                      Thanks a lot 

9 Mar 2016     

yanogator
United States

Simple past with "before" is sometimes used to mean "used to".

He didn �t like tomatoes before" means "He didn �t use to like tomatoes" Since you can �t say "I didn �t use to see him", you also can �t say "I didn �t see him before".

Oh, but while writing that, I thought of another use of "before". We can say, "I was surprised to find out how long Joe had been at the party, because I didn �t see him before".

Bruce 

9 Mar 2016     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

I see! Thanks a lot for your explicit clarification and the time and effort you took to help me.

9 Mar 2016     

marzouga
Morocco

I think simple past is more correct cos, to use past perfect we need to refer to the action that comes after.i hadn �t seen him before (something happened ).so, since there is no reference, we can use simple past which means here:i didn �t see him before now.

10 Mar 2016     

douglas
United States

Definitely past perfect here.

"i didn ´t see him before (now). " is referring to a time before something else in the past (now=I just saw him); therefore, past perfect applies.

11 Mar 2016     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thanks everyone for your help.

11 Mar 2016