Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "The magic world of advertising" OR "The magical world of advertising"?    

"The magic world of advertising" OR "The magical world of advertising"?

ocean_rain
Portugal

"The magic world of advertising" OR "The magical world of advertising"?

Good evening to you all!
I �m preparing class materials on the theme "Advertising" and I have a doubt regarding the use of the adjective "magic/magical" in the sentence "The magic world of advertising. Is "magical" also possible?

I �m looking forward to hearing from you

Thanks,

Ocean_rain

28 Feb 2009      

eng789
Israel

I would go with   "The Magical World of Advertising"

28 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

magic is a noun  Do you do magic?  

magical is an adjective describing the type of world.

28 Feb 2009     

zoemorosini
United States

Hello all:

"Magic" can be used as an adjective, as in "a magic trick".  It describes what kind of trick it is (having to do with magic, versus for example "a card trick".

The word "Magical", on the other hand, I see describing "world" in the phrase "The Magical World of Advertising" as having nothing to do with magic, but to describe the world as extra special, different, fascinating.

I often get confused by these kinds of similar terms.  See below:

I found this at Bartleby.com:

3. Word Choice: New Uses, Common Confusion, and Constraints

� 158. historic / historical

Historic and historical have different usages though their senses overlap. Historic refers to what is important in history: the historic first voyage to the Moon. It is also used of what is famous or interesting because of its association with persons or events in history: a historic house. Historical refers to whatever existed in the past, whether regarded as important or not: a minor historical character. Historical also refers to anything concerned with history or the study of the past: a historical novel, historical discoveries. While these distinctions are useful, don�t be surprised if you see these words used interchangeably, as in historic times or historical times.     1

The American Heritage� Book of English Usage. Copyright � 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Perhaps the above will help.

Happy weekend everyone!

--zoemorosini

28 Feb 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

In this sentence both are adjectives describing the world of advertising;and both mean the same thing "wonderful".
I would use "the magical world"
Have a nice weekend 

28 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Remember Steppenwolf �s fabulous song the �Magic Carpet Ride �.  Why was it not called the �Magical Carpet Ride �?  Why is it a classic song from the �60s  and not a classical song from the �60s?.

I don �t think there is a rule as to when to use the -al which makes it a difficult concept to teach our students.

The Magical World of Advertising is the correct title - I just can �t explain why.

28 Feb 2009     

SusanBrown
Netherlands

I did a WS about THE DIFFERENCES between classic and classical have a look..Wink

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=172016#thetop

maybe it helps..

Hugs AND HAVE A NICE WEEEKEND

28 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hey, great worksheet Suzy

Yes there is a difference in meaning between classic and classical and in this case the suffix changes the meaning considerably unlike other words where -al is used as a suffix. 

Interesting.

28 Feb 2009     

zoemorosini
United States

Hello!

Jayho above said:

"Remember Steppenwolf �s fabulous song the �Magic Carpet Ride �.  Why was it not called the �Magical Carpet Ride �?  Why is it a classic song from the �60s  and not a classical song from the �60s?."

I think it �s "Magic Carpet Ride" because the carpet �s magic, not the ride.

Of course, I could be wrong.  Isn �t English great?????Wacko

--zoemorosini

1 Mar 2009     

ocean_rain
Portugal

Thanks, all (zoemorosini, Jayho, suzylima, harim and eng789) for your help!

I will stick to the "magical world of advertising!"

Hugs & kisses,

Ocean_rain

1 Mar 2009     

dennismychina
China

In this case I think the better one is magical (which gives the idea of wonderful, spectacular, dazzling ect ) as apposed magic (which gives the idea of deception, trickery, being dodgy ect. )

1 Mar 2009     

1    2    Next >