Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > DIAGRAMMING SENTENCES --- SERIOUSLY. THE OLD SCHOOL WAY......    

DIAGRAMMING SENTENCES --- SERIOUSLY. THE OLD SCHOOL WAY......

ldeloresmoore
China

DIAGRAMMING SENTENCES --- SERIOUSLY. THE OLD SCHOOL WAY......

Hi, everybody --- 

I �ve been mulling over the idea of teaching honest-to-goodness, old school sentence diagramming to my more advanced students in an effort to help them understand why some of their most common grammar mistakes are so completely off the reservation.

But......it �s been a really long time since I �ve done it to the level of detail I �d like to use, and I really want to get it very right.

SO...by some miracle can any of you recommend a reliable resource as a refresher?  AND, have any of you tried something similar? If so, what were your results? Did it work, not work? Is this just a pipe dream?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Cheers from China --

Dee 

17 Mar 2016      

yanogator
United States

I think it could be helpful. In a quick google search, I found this link:  http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/diagrams2/one_pager1.htm

Bruce 

17 Mar 2016     

alien boy
Japan

It �s an interesting idea, Dee.

I also use some construction grammar approaches with my�students here. One approach:

1. I started with the good old word cards, Japanese one side & English the other (this was sometimes a little difficult, but it was a good way to begin). I had the students form a sentence in Japanese, then flip the cards to get an English approximation using a word for word translation, ignoring syntax.
2. I introduced some symbols to represent different�parts of language (eg�a, an represented by a triangle, the by an inverted triangle; singular nouns were a tilda, plurals were 2 tildas, one above the other, group nouns were 3 tildas; you get the general idea, I �m sure).
3. We made a standard set of vocab cards, with Japanese, English, & symbols on the same face, and used these to manipulate language construction & syntax in Japanese & English.
I have used variations on this approach with elementary, high school,�and university students, along with professionals. It seems to work fairly effectively.
Cheers,
AB�
I found this to be a very good way to introduce the concepts. The students also made their own cards to experiment with, which seemed to aid in their internalising of differences between their native & target language. By and large I�ve had positive feedback from my students using this approach, too.

17 Mar 2016     

ldeloresmoore
China

Oooooooooo, AB that is FAAAAAAABULOUS!!!  <<bowing deeply>> 

I �m running with that one, for sure.   Will take me a while to adapt it for my group, but definitely something I can work with.

Thanks!!  

17 Mar 2016     

alien boy
Japan

You�re welcome, Dee.

Who knows, maybe sometime I�ll even upload some of�this here!
Cheers,
AB�

17 Mar 2016