Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > alternative lesson    

alternative lesson

crigio
Italy

alternative lesson

Dear friends, I am an Italian teacher! my students are 11_12 years old and they don �t show any interests in what you do. Moreover they come from a poor cultural background . I � �ve been asked to have an alternative and motivating lesson of about 45 minutes and I will be evaluated! Could you give me some ideas please?

17 Mar 2016      

SVieira
Portugal

What (=which topic ) will your lesson be about? And for how long have they been studying English (=which level are they supposed to be in)? Knowing this will certainly help in coming up with some ideas...

Anyway, if they are really that difficult to engage in the learning process, surprising them (with a different topic, a different perspective on a common topic, or maybe a strategy they are not very used to - something physical, for example) might do it. Anyway, it would really help if you could provide some more details.

Sandra

17 Mar 2016     

yanogator
United States

Also the size of the class will make a difference.
One idea I have is to divide the class into teams. Put the words of a sentence onto cards, one word per card. Give each team the cards, in random order. Have the students, one at a time, run up to the board and attach a word (with tape, or whatever means is appropriate for your set-up), trying to make a sentence. Have a prize for the team that completes the sentence first. Adjust the difficulty of the sentence to the level of your students, but don �t make it too easy. You can either correct mistakes as they happen, or wait until a sentence is complete and tell them there is a mistake in it. That, too, will depend on the level of your students. Since the students go up one at a time, the teammates will be cheering, making for a lively time.

Bruce 

17 Mar 2016     

crigio
Italy

Thank you for your help ! It �s a class of 21 students.the level is elementary. They are very difficult pupils so I need to find motivating activities. We have done the present simple , can, past simple. The topic could be weather, directions, places in town,hobbies , routines, abilities, animals, or could also be the introduction of a new topic.

17 Mar 2016     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

keep them busy! use a variety of activities of variable pace (stirring/ stettling activities) Give very clear, simple instructions, check if they get what you want them to do by asking questions, "what are you going to do now? how are you going to do it (in groups, pairs, individually)? how much time will you have?" set very clear achievable outcomes for your lesson and then plan backwards (what will you need to do and how in order to achieve them)
Have look at this 

17 Mar 2016     

sarguero
Spain

Food lesson:  Egg mice recipe

sausages for the tails and ears

black olives or a bit of Ketchup for the eyes and nose.

cheese dice

Resultado de imagen de egg mice recipe sausage

17 Mar 2016     

crigio
Italy

Thank you so much!

17 Mar 2016     

beaca
Spain

Speaking practice: the prevoius day ask your sts about their favourite serial,movie or cartoon. Look for a piece of the most voted one. Choose a scene with a dialogue. Write it and cut it into chunks. In pairs or threes ask them to put it toguether while watching it. Then arange the class with sts facing each other. They are going to practice the dialogue for ten or fifteen minutes but the sts on the right will swap places soth their mate so that everytime they face a different partner. After this they have to act the dialogue without any support. At the end they vote for the best representation. You give a prize to the winners. And a big applause to all of them for participating.

18 Mar 2016     

SVieira
Portugal

Wow, these are really great ideas! I will certainly try to use some of these in my lessons!

Sandra

18 Mar 2016     

crigio
Italy

Thank to you too beaka. I will try it next week , after Easter holidays:)

18 Mar 2016