Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > a question to native speakers    

a question to native speakers

ueslteacher
Ukraine

a question to native speakers

What would you use?

"I wonder if you have this in size 4", she said. Carol took the shoe and smiled the automatic smile she ____ for customers.
1) booked
2) reserved
3) held
4) stored

My immediate choice was #2, however the presenter of a webinar said "held" was the correct option. Why? 
They say, "the choice is obvious here because "hold a smile" is an idiom"....Wacko

23 Mar 2016      

ninon100
Russian Federation

reserved, of course.
errare humanum est :)

23 Mar 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with you and ninon100. Reserved is the most logical and usual choice. If the clerk "held" her smile, that would sound like her smile is frozen on purpose, as one does for some photographs, in my opinion. 

23 Mar 2016     

yanogator
United States

I agree with my colleagues, although I would use the present rather than the past, since it is ongoing. That isn �t an option, though.

Bruce 

23 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Reserved.

23 Mar 2016     

yanogator
United States

I don �t know "hold a smile" as an idiom, and if it is, it �s meaning would be to keep a smile on your face, not to have one reserved for certain situations.

Bruce 

23 Mar 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Never heard of �held/hold � a smile. 2. �reserved � is the correct choice. Bruce, I didn �t think that present tense would be in agreement with �smiled � (verb) as distint from �automatic smile � (adjective + noun). Cheers, AB

23 Mar 2016     

yanogator
United States

AB, since she has it in reserve at all times, past, present and future, the simple present is correct as well as the simple past.

Bruce 

23 Mar 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Thanks for the clarification Bruce! I �m struggling hard to improve my formal grammar knowledge, so I always welcome corrections & information on points of grammar. Cheers, AB

23 Mar 2016