Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > as usual or as usually or both    

as usual or as usually or both

lumpicha79
Poland

as usual or as usually or both

Hi, sorry for this maybe stupid question, but I need your help. As in the title above, which option is correct or more used "as usual" or "as usually". Maybe there is no matter. Thanks in advance for your kind response. Regards.Iza

14 Apr 2016      

georginasantanna
Portugal

Hi Iza,
No question is a stupid question when people want to know more and learn.
The correct option is "as usual". I have never seen "as usually" being used and I guess this happens because "usually" is an adverb and what we need is the adjective.
Have a nice day!

Georgina 

14 Apr 2016     

lockman
Morocco

Hi
look at this

they didn t call me as they usually do. 

14 Apr 2016     

lumpicha79
Poland

�well, I mean for instance: Oh,�you know�I did it as�usual or as usually. ....so maybe both are correct .... but anyway thanks for your reply :-)

14 Apr 2016     

anglophone
Austria

Hi Iza,

as far as I know you can use "usually" only if you connect it with an action verb , as it is then used as an adverb. I don �t think that you can say / write  -   they didn �t call me as usually. Of course you have to say/write   - as they usually do, as usually refers to the verb do and therefore it is used as an adverb.
I hope I am not mistaken.

PS
I agree that there are no stupid questions as long as people really want to find out about something.

14 Apr 2016     

yanogator
United States

As a free-standing expression, it is always "as usual". He was late, as usual. "As usual" is a shortened form of "as is usual".

A verb doesn �t have to be an action verb for "as usually" to be used with it:
He was late, as he usually is.
I worked overtime, as I usually do.

Bruce 

14 Apr 2016