Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > especially vs specially    

especially vs specially

Pedro14
Spain

especially vs specially

As far as the dictionaries i have checked, both adverbs are synonyms of particularly. Could anyone throw some light into my question? Thanks in advance.

18 Apr 2016      

yanogator
United States

In the US, we don �t use "specially" as a synonym of "particularly", and we really don �t use it much at all. To us, "specially" means "in a special way" (referring to needs, abilities, etc.).

If I say that a student is especially suited to learning English, I am talking about the degree of readiness and ability. The student is suited to a higher degree.

If I say that a student is specially suited to learning English, I am talking about some abilities or previous experience in learning languages that makes this student different from the others, not just in the degree to which he or she is suited to learning English.

So, to sum it up, "especially" means "particularly" or "to a special degree/in a special amount".
"Specially" means "in a special way", and it is a far less common word.

This tool was specially made (in a special way) to do a particular job. It does the job especially well (to a special degree).

I wouldn �t even teach students the word "specially". I probably haven �t used the word more than 5 times in my lifetime.

Bruce. 

18 Apr 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

Well, 100% everything Bruce said except in the UK we use specially quite a lot. And yes, to us, if you can say particularly you can normally say especially. The same for something made for a specific purpose. We tend to say specially designed for ...

18 Apr 2016     

yanogator
United States

Yes, that agrees with our use of "specially", since it deals with a quality, and not the degree of something. We would also say something like "This chair was specially designed for comfort".

Bruce 

18 Apr 2016     

kwsp
United States

You made me curious! Here is what I found from Merriam-Webster Learner �s Dictionary:

1. Use especially to mean �very� or �extremely,� as in these examples:

• There is nothing especially radical about that idea.
  • The food was not especially good.

2. Use especially when something stands out from all the others, and you want the meaning of �particularly,� as in these examples:

• She can �t be sure she will win, especially at this early stage of the campaign.
  • The appetizers and especially the soup were delicious.

3. When you want to convey the meaning �for a special purpose,� or �specifically,� you can use either especially or specially. They are both correct.

• The speech was written especially/specially for the occasion.

4. When you want to convey the meaning �in a special manner�, as in this example below, use specially. In this context, especially would sound odd or wrong to most native speakers.

• I don �t want to be treated specially.
  • I don �t want to be treated especially.

18 Apr 2016     

yanogator
United States

I basically agree with the dictionary, although I would say "particularly" in #1 instead of "very" or "extremely".

Bruce 

18 Apr 2016