Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar help!    

Grammar help!

ronit85
Israel

Grammar help!

Is the following sentence correct?
We are eating fish all week. I can �t eat another fish this week! 
Thanks for your time
Ronit 

1 May 2016      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

I don �t think so..... Since the action has been occuring throughout the week, I would say:

We have been eating fish all week.

1 May 2016     

ronit85
Israel

Thanks I totally agree. i just wanted to make sure because the student said her teacher told them the first answer was correct!
Ronit 

1 May 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with both of you. To me, "We are eating fish all week" is the near future.

1 May 2016     

yanogator
United States

Yes, it depends on where you are in the week. On Sunday, you can say "We are eating fish all week" (for the near future, as Mary said). On Wednesday or Thursday, "We have been eating fish all week" is correct, but "We are eating fish all week" is also correct, for continuous action in and around the present.

Bruce 

1 May 2016     

Tere-arg
Argentina

When you say "We are eating fish all the week" you are complaining. 

When used in this way, you should always include a frequency adverb/phrase to denote a repeated action that annoys you.

"The are always arguing" 
"They are arguing all the time" 

1 May 2016     

Apodo
Australia

I would say:

We �ve been eating fish all week. I can �t eat another fish. 

This could be said after just a few days, the whole week doesn �t have to have passed. We like to exaggerate ;-)

2 May 2016