Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Anybody or somebody in reported questions    

Anybody or somebody in reported questions

xena407
Ukraine

Anybody or somebody in reported questions

Dear friends!
Help me to deside what variant is correct, please:
She asked me if I knew anybody famous. or She asked if I knew somebody famous .

3 May 2016      

yanogator
United States

They are both correct, but "anybody" is definitely more common, whether in reported or direct questions.

Here �s the difference:

While getting to know a new acquaintance, she  asked if I knew anybody famous.

This is a general inquiry, just to learn a general piece of information.

We are trying to coordinate a major fund-raising event, so she aske me if I knew somebody famous that we could get as our guest speaker.

Here she is looking for a specific person. "Anybody" could also be used here, too, but "somebody" fits the urgency of the situation better. She is hoping that I do know somebody famous.

In general, we use "some" in questions if we are expecting a positive response, and "any" if we are expecting a negative response or don �t know what to expect.

If I ask my wife "Do we have some milk?", I am thinking that we do, and looking for confirmation.

If I ask "Do we have any milk?", I don �t have any reason to think that we do, or I think that we probably don �t.

If I ask you "Do you need something?", it is because I am responding to some kind of cue - a look on your face, something you said, etc.

If I ask "Do you need anything?", it is a more general question, and I don �t have any expectation of whether you need something or not.

Bruce 

3 May 2016     

Gi2gi
Georgia

An exhaustive answer, thank you Bruce, found some useful insights!

4 May 2016     

yanogator
United States

Maybe even an exhausting answer, depending on how it hits you.  

Bruce 

4 May 2016     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Well, maybe exhausting for the poster and exhaustive for the reader :D 

Giorgi

4 May 2016     

xena407
Ukraine

Thank you!

4 May 2016