Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > English Fun Club activities     

English Fun Club activities

Inna1960
Turkey

English Fun Club activities

Hi everybody here ! I �m  looking for some interesting ideas to do  *( kind of English Fun Club activities after lesson ) Any suggestions?Have you done something like that before? Great thank u in advance :))))
 The students´ age is 18  -   25 

9 Jun 2016      

maryse pey�
France

- a writing workshop (short stories, newspaper...) to put on the net

- a singing workshop : writing of lyrics

- short videos

- writing of playscripts

Here are some ideas.

9 Jun 2016     

12bprecise
Mexico

i did English Club as an occasional 30-45 minute voluntary activity outside the normal time for classes. Some of the topics were Guess Who? (Who Stole the Cookie from the Cookie Jar,  Twenty Questions: Who Am I, and Charades, ending with listening to Kings Singers � "Aiken Drum"), Sounds of the South (we watched skits representing the culture in the South of the US), Christmas caroling, game time, and a birthday party. You could have a party or social gathering in the style of a particular author: Poe or Austen or do a murder mystery--Clue style. I may upload the guidelines I developed for involving students in planning the activities the day after tomorrow.

These are my notes for the birthday activity. (I no longer remember what was original and what was gathered from other places. I think a couple of the MadLibs activities I found online.

Thank you for coming to celebrate Chipotle’s first birthday. I do not know when he was born. But I am sure he’s never had a birthday party before.

To begin, let’s fill the left board with words related to birthday parties. (Make sure students understand friends, happy, birthday, party, celebrate, day, older, presents, cake, candles, frosting.)

Explain rules for MadLibs:

To play:
The reader asks each writer in turn to call out a word — an adjective or a noun or whatever the space calls for — and uses them to fill in the blank spaces in the story. The result is a Mad Libs game.

When the reader then reads the completed Mad Libs game to the other players, they will discover that they have written a story that is fantastic, screamingly funny, shocking, silly, crazy, or just plain dumb — depending upon which words each writer called out.

Quick review:
In case you have forgotten what adjectives, adverbs, nouns, and verbs are, here is a quick review:

An adjective describes something or somebody. Lumpy, soft, ugly, messy and short are adjectives.

An adverb tells how something is done. It modifies a verb and usually ends in “ly.” Modestly, stupidly, greedily and carefully are adverbs.

A noun is the name of a person, place, or thing. Sidewalk, umbrella, bridle, bathtub and nose are nouns.

A verb is an action word. Run, pitch, jump and swim are verbs. Put the verbs in past tense if the directions say past tense. Ran, pitched, jumped and swam are verbs in the past tense.

When we ask for a place, we mean any sort of place: a country or city (Spain, Cleveland) or a room (bathroom, kitchen).

An exclamation or silly word is any sort of funny sound, gasp, grunt, or outcry, like Wow!, Ouch!, Whomp!, Ick! and Gadzooks!

When we ask for specific words, like a number, a color, an animal, or a part of the body, we mean a word that is one of those things, like seven, blue, horse or head.

When we ask for a plural, it means more than one. For example, cat pluralized is cats.

Write the following hints on the board and ask for recommendations

adjective

name of person in the room

noun

number

adjective

name

adjective

noun

number

adjective

Display poster and write in the missing words.

_______________ was very happy. He was having a big birthday party. All of his friends were invited. As he waited for the guests to arrive, he imagined what kinds of gifts they would bring. His mom had decorated the room like the ocean. He picked up a glass of blue Koolaid and chewed the ice cube. There was a gummy shark inside. He admired the Jell-O aquariums and the shark cake. He looked at the shark on the wall. There were twenty tails stuck to the wall. He fastened one to the shark’s eye.

Rules for 20 Questions:

One person leaves the room (put bear out of room). Everyone else chooses an object. The person (bear) comes back and tries to guess the object: he can ask each person one question—but you can only answer “yes” or “no.” If he guesses, someone else becomes “it.” If not, he must leave while the group chooses another object.

Variation—instead of choosing an object, students choose an identity; and the person comes back and asks what he or she should buy.

Thalia �s first birthday party was absolutely [adjective]. Despite the fact that adjective Nate forgot to [verb] any of the [plural noun] to serve our guests until midnight the night before which made me totally [verb] out.

[Exclamation]!

Relatives came as far as [place] and [place] and we were honored that they made the [adjective] journey. Especially [female name]. As for [male name], eh. We just invited him because he gives [adjective] gifts. Although the best gift definitely came from [name], hands down. I mean, wouldn �t you want a [adjective] [noun] if you were one year old?

If I �ve learned one thing from the celebration, it �s that no child �s birthday [noun] should be without copious amounts of [color] and [color] sangria. It certainly makes the guests more [adjective]! It also explains why our childless friends were having a [adjective] time, and not leaving [adverb] right after eating the cake.

Oh, the cake. The [adjective], [adjective] cake. My [adjective] father undertook the task as if it were a dying [noun] �s last request. [Number] recipes and [number] trips to the special baking store downtown resulted in an extremely [adjective] homemade birthday cake with [adjective] chocolate frosting that Thalia [verb+ed] enough to provide us with the requisite First Cake on The Face Photos. In fact, we were delighted Thalia had room for it, after having eaten the tips off of nearly [number] birthday hats beforehand.

Which brings me to one more thing I learned from the [adjective] celebration: [verb+ing] a baby full of [number] pounds of sugar moments before her naptime isn �t always a [adjective] idea.

So do me a favor? [Adjective] please?

Remind me next year.

Friends, this is a surprise party for Ben (person). We are here to celebrate her/his dog (noun). I must say that she/he doesn �t look a day over 6. (number) Naturally, we have some smelly (adjective) presents for her/him. And we had the bakery send up a huge loud (adjective) cheese (noun) with 12 (number) candles on it. We all want to wish her/him a very green (adjective) birthday and many happy trees (plural noun).

Today was a big day for [Blank 1] because it was her birthday. Sally had asked for several things this year since she would be 25. She wanted a [Blank 2], [Blank 3] and a [Blank 4]. Her party was going to be [Blank 6]. She was planning on having a [Blank 7] come as entertainment. If that didn �t work out, then she planned on having the guest play [Blank 8] because everyone could learn it easily and have a good time. She also wanted to have [Blank 9] and [Blank 10] as food for her guest. [Blank 11], her best friend, loved to cook and planned on bringing [Blank 12].

9 Jun 2016     

Gi2gi
Georgia

( with much respect to 12pbrecise) I had to post this, the forum main page was somehow messed up.

10 Jun 2016