Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I need help!    

I need help!

Belanaana
Argentina

I need help!

Hi everyone!

Can you help me with this sentence?

There didn �t use to be a cinema in this  street. / There used not to be a cinema in this street. Which is the correct one? 

3 Jul 2016      

Pedro14
Spain

As far as I �m concerned, only the first one is correct. You can also say: there never used to be a cinema in this street. Wait for other answers though.

3 Jul 2016     

FrauSue
France

The first one is correct.
You could also say: There used to be no cinema in this street; There wasn �t a cinema here before.

I prefer your first sentence as it is the most idiomatic way of expressing the idea. 

3 Jul 2016     

tandil
Argentina

Hi, nice question!

According to Practical English Usage by Michael Swam (3rd Ed. 2005: 595), the second statement is also possible in a formal style, though it is not very common. Hence, both sentences are grammatically correct.

3 Jul 2016     

yanogator
United States

Tandil is correct, but the second one is ridiculously formal and stilted. I wouldn �t recommend using it at all.

Bruce 

3 Jul 2016     

Belanaana
Argentina

Thanks a lot!!!   

3 Jul 2016