Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > The use of WILL after IF in conditional clauses    

The use of WILL after IF in conditional clauses

niksailor
Russian Federation

The use of WILL after IF in conditional clauses

Dear colleagues whose mother tongue is English!

Would you be so kind as to explain to me in which cases it �s possible to use the form WILL after the conjunction IF in complex sentences with conditional clauses? The matter is that in some SBs of either the advanced or proficiency level there is a rule saying that WILL can be used after if in sentences like

"If it WILL make you feel better, I will close the window"

or

"If you WILL just wait a moment, I �ll tell Mr Jackson you �re here"

(both of them are taken from the "Objective Advanced" SB and WB)

The well-known rule tells you not to use WILL in the First Conditional, doesn �t it? But such sentences are in contradiction with the norms.  Non-native speakers of English like me just get completely puzzled...  

So, I wonder if WILL is an auxiliary or rather a modal verb in the sentences above? What exact grammatical meaning does it convey? Could you please rephrase the above-presented sentences to let me understand them better, and, if you please, cite other examples? Finally, how often are sentences similar to these ones used in English and do the belong to the formal style?

Thank you very much in advance! :)
Kind regards,
Nik 

5 Jul 2016      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Nik,
You have posed a pretty difficult question. I will answer off the top of my head, and hope that others will provide more information.

Your first example is the most common use of "will" in both clauses, and the most logical. It is for the future result of a future action. I will close the window, then you will feel better.

If you will eat it, I will make dinner.
If he will pay me back, I will buy the book for him.

You can see that the "will" in the first clause is necessary, because it is in the future.

Your second example is trickier, and my original thought is that it is linked to the original meaning of "will", which is "to be willing".
If you are willing to wait a moment, I �ll tell Mr. Jackson you �re here.
If you will stop shouting, I �ll explain what I meant.

Notice that the action in the first clause definitely has a present-time meaning (You need to wait now, or to stop shouting now), which is what differentiates this kind from the previous kind.

Now that I �ve explained it, I �m more certain that my original thought it correct.

Bruce 

5 Jul 2016     

Minka
Slovenia

I �m not sure about the first one, but WILL in

"If you WILL just wait a moment, I ´ll tell Mr Jackson you ´re here"

is not really WILL FUTURE, it implies willingness: If you don �t mind waiting... If you want to wait... (rather than go away and not see Mr. Jackson) . 

5 Jul 2016     

niksailor
Russian Federation

But dear Bruce, wouldn �t it be more correct to use Present Simple in your sentences

If you EAT it, I will make dinner ------ If he PAYS me back, I will buy the book for him.

Aren �t they both of the First Conditional type where we use no WILL in the "if" - part? At least, all SB I �ve leafed through so far give you exactly this rule...

The second trickier case is quite clear now. Is it more peculiar to writing rather than spoken language?

Thank you very much for your help! :) 

5 Jul 2016     

kiscsepo
Hungary

I �m not a native speaker, however, as far as I know, there are exceptions in terms of the rule of the 1st conditional. The website of BBC summarises them in a clear way, I think. Hope the explanations will help you Smile

Iif we are talking about future results rather than conditions, an if - will clause is used. So here is your first exception to the rule, Marcin:
If (you think) it will save our marriage, I �ll try to give up drinking.
I �ll help to pay the course fees, if that will persuade you to apply to university.
Take the whole of next week off, if that will help you to recover.
if you will... = if you insist on...
This could be the second exception to the rule, but this use of will in the if-clause does not refer to future possibility, but instead has the same meaning as the verb insist on. In this usage a lot of word stress if placed upon will:
If you will smoke twenty a day, it �s not surprising you have a hacking cough. =
If you insist on smoking so much, it �s not surprising you have a hacking cough
If she will eat so many chocolates, it �s hardly surprising she has a spotty face.
if you won �t... = if you refuse to...
Similarly, the negative of will in the if-clause has the same meaning as refuse to. As you read these examples, remember to place heavier word stress than normal on won �t:
If she won �t come to Sardinia with us, there �s nothing we can do to make her.
If she refuses to come to Sardinia with us, there �s nothing we can do to make her.
What shall we do, if she won �t agree to have the operation?
if you will / would = if you wouldn �t mind...
This third exception to the rule doesn �t have a conditional meaning either. This helps to explain why they are exceptions. Here we are using if + will or if + would as polite requests with the same meaning as if you wouldn �t mind:
If you �ll just fill in this form before you go, you can hand it in to reception. =
If you wouldn �t mind filling in this form before you go, you can leave it with reception.
If you would take a seat, the doctor will see you in five minutes.
If you wouldn �t mind taking a seat, the doctor will see you in five minutes.
If you �d be so kind as to take a seat, the consultant will see you in five minutes.

5 Jul 2016     

niksailor
Russian Federation

Wow, such an informative massive for me to study!!! Now I �m starting to get grips to this issue, I guess... 

Many thanks, dear  kiscsepo! 

6 Jul 2016     

yanogator
United States

The BBC �s second set (insist on) is strictly British. We don �t use that construction in the US.

No, Nik, we definitely use "will" in those cases, because it is a future action. Going back to your original post, if you say "If it makes you feel better, I will close the window". That has a slightly different meaning, because of the "ongoing" nature of the present simple tense. The small difference is difficult to explain. Using the present here sort of sets the condition (feeling better) in an overall sense, like my offer, as well as the action, contributes to your general well-being. With "will", it is more concretely saying that closing the window will lead to your feeling better. 

I just realized why this is so troublesome! These aren �t first conditional, because the "if" clause is the result, and the second clause is the cause. In the first conditional, it is if-cause-then-effect:

If you build it, they will come. (from the movie Field of Dreams)
If you make dinner, I will eat it.

More importantly, the second action follows the first.

In your examples, the second-named action actually will happen first. Now we know why these sentences are different.

Bruce 

6 Jul 2016     

yanogator
United States

I didn �t answer the last part of your question.

No, this is not particularly formal or at all unusual. It is just particular situations.

Bruce 

6 Jul 2016     

kohai
Latvia

Thanks for the question and explanations!

Yes, it �s not tricky only for you, Nik...

7 Jul 2016     

niksailor
Russian Federation

Thank you so much for you help! I appreciate it!

7 Jul 2016