Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day contest 6th July    

Word of the day contest 6th July

georginasantanna
Portugal

Word of the day contest 6th July

Hi all,

I am most glad to announce the new word for the Word of the Day Contest: stanchion 
Give me your craziest, funniest and wittiest definitions for this word!
Above all, surprise me and make me laugh!

Georgina 

6 Jul 2016      

maryse pey�
France

Just for fun, here is my daffynititon.

Here is a term specific for the boys and men named STAN addicted to visiting Roman and Gothic cathedrals. STANCHION is the fact that they can �t help visiting and visiting and visiting from a city to another, then from a country to another... and when they have finished they start again to be sure not to have forgotten some hidden details...

Have a splendid day.

6 Jul 2016     

sarguero
Spain

STANCHION:  Station in chinese

6 Jul 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s a rich widow. The word is often used by English teachers to show the vagaries of the English language. �Here is a stanchion sitting in her mansion. � 
There is a papadeli visual for this (surely?)  

6 Jul 2016     

georginasantanna
Portugal

Come on guys, I know a lot of you are on holiday but I �m sure your brains aren �t so please do your best and find the most amazing daffynition for the word of the day contest!

Georgina 

7 Jul 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Stanchion - dialect form for the more common stink-eye on. He put a stink-eye on the pitcher to jinx him. Also spelled stanch-ion, stanch-I-on, and stench-eye-on.

7 Jul 2016