Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Accents from the British Isles    

Accents from the British Isles

spinney
United Kingdom

Accents from the British Isles

A nice little vid for the more advanced groups. Very entertaining and surprisingly accurate.
 Done like a weather forecast, too. 

9 Sep 2016      

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

:) Very interesting! Thank you for sharing!

9 Sep 2016     

yanogator
United States

While it �s playing, there �s a link to see a similar one for accents around Germany. Our German members will probably enjoy that.

Bruce 

9 Sep 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Why aye, very nice man spinney, but one important one was missed out!

9 Sep 2016     

mfraczek
France

Ay up me Duck....
What about this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxQcERC1tmk
Murielle 

9 Sep 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

Now confusing the Mrs with my newly acquired Geordie accent.
I thought it would be a good idea to include this for our Irish neighbours.

10 Sep 2016     

Gi2gi
Georgia

I had quite a hard time understanding my ex-boss when he asked me once to pour him some tea in his �coop � :) Now I know he meant his cup :) �oo � seems to be a typical way of pronouncing the �short a � in Midlands - �I looked �oop � a vid with a lady with more details about it. �Petty �mooch� interesting ...

10 Sep 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

He he, love them all! 
Spinney, drop that Geordie accent with the missus; notoriously unromantic (as are Geordie blokes). 
It �s funny how English accents say something about you the minute you open your gob. Brummie (Birmingham) - a bit thick; Cockney (London) -  a bit spivvy and Scouser (Liverpool) well... Here �s a short clip. People tend to like and trust West country accents and anybody speaking the Queen �s English. Actually, we Geordies are viewed as the salt of the earth and highly trustworthy, if dull. Scousers are also famous for their good humour. All silly really and so I dissociate myself entirely from any of the above comments! 

11 Sep 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

A Southern Shandy-drinker�s Hell. Wink

11 Sep 2016     

Jayho
Australia

Interesting thread.

In Australia, life is simple - we all generally the sound the same wherever you go in the land downunder.  Interesting to note, our Aussie accent is apparently based on Cockney, from the convict days.

David Crystal was interviewed here earlier this year about accents (and his book on it) - click here to hear it

Cheers

Jayho

11 Sep 2016