Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help, please.    

Help, please.

teacherjorgesanchez
Guatemala

Help, please.

I need some examples for this: " Identifies and uses linguistic elements of English that do not translate literally and compares them to their Spanish equivalents"  

3 Oct 2016      

redcamarocruiser
United States

I am not sure what the linguistic elements of English are that cannot be translated.

I would assume you are not talking about meanings of words or expressions that cannot be translated.

I would guess it has to do with rhythm and cadence in poetry where such is important to the esthetics of the piece. I saw one statement that another language had a very rich acoustic element that was absent in either Spanish or English.

Maybe a search such as "comparative linguistics English and Spanish" without the quotation marks would yield some usable results.

This site http://www.fluentu.com/spanish/blog/differences-between-english-and-spanish/ gives an example of using a double negative in Spanish that would not be allowed in English. But I am not sure if this fits into your criteria of linguistic element. 

4 Oct 2016     

douglas
United States

could they mean comparing idioms with their Spanish equivalent?

4 Oct 2016     

yanogator
United States

One thing I can think of is "I want you to help me with this". If you translate it literally, as soon as you start in Spanish with "Yo te quiero...", you �re going to raise some eyebrows. In Spanish, it is re-worded as "I want that you help me with this".

I �m sure there are many other "linguistic elements" that don �t translate directly.

Bruce 

4 Oct 2016