Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Will or going to?    

Will or going to?

mgim
Argentina

Will or going to?

Hello. I have a doubt about the use of will and going to. Which one should we use in a fortune teller role-play? I �ve seen fortune teller predictions with will in one book and with going to in the same type of activity. Are both correct? Thanks in advance.

10 Oct 2016      

redcamarocruiser
United States

They are both correct in the context of fortune telling.

10 Oct 2016     

joannajs
Poland

Going to suggests an intention or prediction based on EVIDENCE (e.g. look at this lady [pict. of a pregnant woman] - she �s going to have a baby. / How about these dark clouds? It �s going to rain.) Will is used for general predictions. 

Not pretending to be an expert on fortune telling or palm reading  I �d say that "will" is far better in this context. Unless you want to pass the message that you actually BELIEVE the fortune teller is basing his/her predictions on hard data / evidence. Do you? 

11 Oct 2016     

Tere-arg
Argentina

In my opinion, taking on account "going to form" is used to express predictions based on evidence, it should be used for future telling as you are predicting  what´s going to happen based on what you see on the card. 
It is used as a game, of course. 

11 Oct 2016     

yanogator
United States

I agree. "Going to" is too definite. I definitely suggest "will". If you watch fortune tellers in movies, they use "will".

Bruce 

11 Oct 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Makes sense.

11 Oct 2016