Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > weekly teaching obligation around the world    

weekly teaching obligation around the world

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi people,
I am in NZ and we teach from 9 - 3.00 Monday to Friday.  This is a total of 22.5 hours in front of the children split up into 3 sessions of 1.5hours each day.

I am setting up a classroom from a mess left by someone else.  I am currently working from about 6.00am until well erm its 11.20pm now and I actually came on here to find a resource but got sidetracked by the forum - so am I still working??

The thing is - I love teaching.  IF I didn �t love teaching I would just put up with the classroom how it is (as previous teachers have done) and just turned up from 8 until 4pm what a wonderful life that would be - I can �t see me ever doing that though....  Teaching is a vocation not a job.  IF you don �t love it I suggest you retrain - as children need teachers who love what they do and are willing to continue educating themselves through out their career taking onboard new education ideas. 

I often hear teachers complaining about their long hours.  I never hear them mention their long holidays....  Did I mention I also get 12 weeks holiday a year of which I spend about 4 in the classroom setting up things and making resources and probably another 2 planning from home or on the laptop while on holiday.  That still leaves me with 6 weeks of holiday a year.  Most people tell me - yes - but you need that to recover....erm recover from what? a job I love?  shurg shoulders look confused....

TEaching is the best job ever.  I get more than minimum wage, a free laptop, and great working conditions because I am the person who decides how my classroom will behave.  No government or parent can change that.  In my classroom I am in charge,  I set the tone, and I decide that it is a postive, caring place where children can feel safe, respected, and have the opportunity to learn.

Sorry - but I really had to put that all in - I have seen a lot of people comment over the last year about how it is the governments and parents fault that children do not respect them...  I believe this is a �cop out �.  IF we get paid to work fulltime - surely this means a minimum of 40 hours per week (roughly).

Just my 2 cents....

Long Live Dedicated, educated, teachers

4 Mar 2009     

soleole
Uruguay

amen! Clap

4 Mar 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

well said Hug

4 Mar 2009     

Choli
Argentina

Vickiii,
Again, welcome back!!!!!!!! This is why I missed you. I love reading your comments and opinions.
And yes, a carnival mask would definitely be more appropriate than Santa �s hat.

Hugs
Choli

5 Mar 2009     

< Previous   1    2