Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Why is this supposed to be incorrect?    

Why is this supposed to be incorrect?

Minka
Slovenia

Why is this supposed to be incorrect?

I came by this picture on Fluentland; 

Common mistakes

that pointrs out some common mistakes in English. I don �t think I would make any of them except for the third example, the one with that dirty mark on the rug. Even when I see it like that, I do not understand why that is wrong. Thanks for any good explanation.  

5 Nov 2016      

kohai
Latvia

I think, the second sentence is correct, because it makes unambiguous which of two items must be removed - the rug or the dirty mark on it.

P.S. BUT I already made one mistake today, so don �t believe me much!;) That �s nice we have Bruce and other great helpers on the site whom we can learn a lot from.

5 Nov 2016     

Minka
Slovenia

Thank you. I understand the second sentence is clearer, I just don �t see why the first one should be incorrect. Many ambiguous sentences are perfectly correct. 

5 Nov 2016     

yanogator
United States

"Which" refers back to the closest noun as its antecedent.

@Ruta,
If you allow yourself only one mistake per day, your life won �t be very happy.  :)

Bruce 

5 Nov 2016