Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > how to use "during"    

how to use "during"

Ruwayda37
Egypt

how to use "during"

Good day fellow teachers,
Could you please tell me if the word "during" could be followed by  a verb+ing?
Is it possible to say:
During mending his car, it rained?
                                                                                   Thanks a lot

6 Nov 2016      

Pedro14
Spain

It doesn �t sound correct to me. I am not a native speaker though. I would say "While he was mending his car, it rained." I use "during + noun" so I would say "During his car repair, it rained".

6 Nov 2016     

Firefox_360
United Kingdom

I agree with Pedro14. I can �t think of any examples where following �during � with an �ing � verb would sound correct:

During painting the picture, it was sunny.
During running the race, the crowd cheered. 
During fixing the leak, the radio played music loudly. 

Using  two �ing � words together sounds awkward and the sentence doesn �t indicate who is doing the action.

Using �while � to show two things happening at the same time makes more sense, although it could be worth moving the sentence around to see which order sounds the clearest:

It was sunny while she painted the picture.
The crowd cheered while he ran the race.
While he fixed the leak, the radio played music loudly.

I hope that helps!

6 Nov 2016     

FrauSue
France

Iagree-During+noun,while+gerund.

6 Nov 2016     

yanogator
United States

I agree with the others, and would like to add to Firefox �s answer. Firefox is gently pointing out that even if you change to "while", the first clause needs a subject.

While he was mending his car, it rained.

Bruce 

6 Nov 2016     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thanks a million for your explicit clarification and taking the time to help me! I understand it now. Have a good day!

6 Nov 2016