Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Feeling so depressed, so demotivated, so useless...    

Feeling so depressed, so demotivated, so useless...

marta73
Spain

Jujuka, I think you are on the way. Thanks for sharing your teaching strategies with us. Last year I started to do some of the things you mention and they worked quite well, let�s see if once a habit, they keep on working that well. This year I have classes with less students: 18!!! so I can do a lot more oral practice and monitor their work efficiently.
I think part of the teaching problem is that we are using 19th century teaching strategies in the 21st century. Society changes faster than education and maybe some of our objectives and methodology should change. Using technological support helps a lot. However, one has to learn to make the most of it. Machines are not a solution but a way to do things we couldn�t do before.
What I find more difficult, anyway, is working with vocabulary. No matter what I do in class, if students don�t study new words regularly they keep on forgetting them or make the process soooo slow that it prevents us from going a  step further. However, since I have this reduced size classes this year, I can do more games ( competitions always bring good results), see more interesting videos, listen to more songs, write epal mails ( a friend of mine did it among different classes in her school, and it worked well )...So far, they are feeling more involved in the class, everyone participates and has done things well ,so their self- steem has risen and I still haven�t heard " I hate English. It�s very difficult!" 

5 Oct 2008     

kpmc
France

Hello everybody and dear Frenchfrog,
I also have the same feeling, especially because I teach in a professional school where most of the time we have the students who can�t go in the lyc�e because of their level (not their motivation in studying for a professional diploma)
What do I do? For the first 2 months of the year I give them very basic and very easy worksheets so that they all have good marks at the tests (or better marks than they�ve never had before) so that they can realise that they CAN do things in English, that they CAN succeed and that I don�t care of their initial level because we do everything again differently. I try my best to give them subjects they would be interested in...
And the next year (because we keep our classes during the two years of the diploma) I realise most of them have not remembered a lot. And I just can�t "accuse" the previous teacher because it was me... But I continue to love the small victories for a few of them who succeed!

Keep loving your job!

Have a nice week!

Karine

5 Oct 2008     

pmca
Portugal

Dear Frenchfrog,

Your words seem to have been written by me! In Portugal, things are exactly like you have described. I have been teaching English from 7th to 12th grades for 15 years (yes, I�m getting old... Cry ) and every year I have to face classes who do not have the level of competences they should have at the level they are. And they don�t care! They don�t see any practical use for the English they are learning and they don�t think about their future needs.

The truth is, once they leave school, they immediately recognise their mistake for not taking English seriously. Some of our former students visit our school regularly and participate in school events and when I talk to them they all complain about the amount of English texts they have to read at university or the English they should have to use at work. I tell them the words they most hate listening to: I TOLD YOU SO....

The MAJOR problem, in my opinion, is that in Portugal (I don�t know how it happens in France or other countries) students can progress to the next school year with no or little success in English. Bearing in mind that, according to our national syllabus, they should leave 9th grade with level B1 (CEF), level B2 after 11th grade and level C1 after 12th grade, when they reach a terminal year, they are far from the level intended. If they progress from the first grades with the wrong level of English, their handicap will only widen with each school year. It is definitely an ongoing problem.

What is happening here in Portugal is that some textbook authors are already conscious of this problem and try to offer diverse levels of activities and resources that can be used in mixed-ability classes. There is still a lot to be done.

I try to give the weaker and more reluctant students simple tasks to accomplish. Especially things they can do with their hands - jumbled parts of texts, strips with words to order into sentences, cutting words, sentences, verbs, adjectives, etc from newspapers or magazines or packages. I use films and songs a lot in order to captivate them as well. You can use, like some fellow ESL members have posted, "easier" activities so that they can achieve some success and recognise what they CAN do.

It reminds me of the Common European Framework�s can do statements and grids. The whole document approaches language learning on the basis of what learners already know and can do, instead of focusing on what they don�t know. I have been using this approach especially with my students from professional courses and they tell me all the time "Wow! I didn�t know that I knew that" or "I can do this!" or "I�ve never had a positive grade in English all my life - this is my first time!" And it is rewarding to have some positive feedback from students whose language learning past was almost as barren as a desert! LOL

I wish you all the luck and hope you will overcome this negative phase.

Best wishes,

Paula

P.S. Your students don�t know the fantastic teacher they have in front of them! All the wonderful material you have posted here are an excellent mirror of your hardworking character. Maybe you should show them these comments in your support! Thumbs Up

5 Oct 2008     

mcris
Brazil

I know exactly how you feel!!! Sometimes I freel so depressed that I�d like to quit but when I see other students producing I feel proud of myself....I do my best...

5 Oct 2008     

wakebeauty
Brazil

Dear Frenchfrog and colleagues that have answered this post until now,

I face the same problem here in Brazil with my classes... they don�t like English because they don�t learn it at schools!!!! The only people who learn/speak are those who takes an ENGLISH COURSE as CCAA, FISK, CULTURA INGLESA, YAZIGI, WIZARD, and many others PRIVATE COURSES...

I think the problem is that at schools in Brazil the mainn methodology used is still the GRAMMAR TRANSLATION, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT????  Why this still happens?

* First, the schools don�t teach English a communicative language...
* second, the colleges don�t prepare/teach the students/teachers... so many of the teachers here in Brazil teach English without even knowing it...
* third, the classes are too big, with at least 45 students
* We only have two classes per week
* there�s no resource...as books, dicitionaries, labs, etc.. (at least in the MOST OF THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS)
* The government says that we have to teach our children how to read... ONLY!!!!

To give an example: next year, the public schools will give the students a new option: SPANISH - so they�ll choose between Spanish and English ( of course  MOST OF THE sTUDENTS WILL CHOOSE sPANISH)   This law was approved in 2005 and all the schools must have this option until 2010.
DO YOU KNOW WHO ARE MOST OF THE TEACHERS WHO WILL TEACH SPANISH???... THE PORTUGUESE ONES WHO DON�T KONW EVEN A WORD  IN SPANISH!
* DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TEACHERS HAVE THE GOVERNMENT PREPARED SINCE 2005 TO TEACH SPANISH? NONE!!!

It was the same with English... everybody taught English. So THE TEACHERS USED TO PRETEND THEY WERE TEACHING ENGLISH AND THE STUDENTS PRETEND THEY WERE LARNING...

*** But this situation is changing, coz now we have more prepared teachers at school... but not because they learnt it in school or  at colleges, but because we paid an English course! But I think it is almost to late... : (
and it�s a pity the same will happen with Spanish... : (

SO I HAVE THREE QUESTIONS FOR ALL OF YOU...

1) DID YOU LEARN THE "ENGLISH YOU KNOW" AT SCHOOL?????
2) DO YOU TEACH YOUR STUDENTS IN ENGLISH OR IN YOUR MOTHER TONGUE???

3) WHAT IS THE MAIN METHODOLOGY USED IN MOST OF THE SCHOOLS IN YOUR COUNTRIES???

A little kiss for all of you(*.*)

And thanks Frenchfrog for having  started this topic- so we BRAZILIANS could see that problem is not only IN BRAZIL, but most of the teachers face it too- even in DEVELOPED COUNTRIES!!!!!

5 Oct 2008     

Marshmallow (F)
France

Dear Frenchfrog,
I know exactly how you feel and I agree with what the others said too... I spend so much time preparing lessons and trying to interest the students and most of the time I�m not rewarded for my job because they just don�t care and don�t seem to learn or understand. I have this year a 3e in which the students have a terribly bad level as well (they don�t know yet how to use �be� or �have got� properly. Ans it often makes me feel depressed and useless...I think we have to let what happens in the class " behind us" after the lessons, not let it "invade" our lives too much and still keep trying to interest them. There are ALWAYS students that finally learn things and get better. That�s why our job is a wonderful one. Don�t be depressed, as I saw we�re all in the same situation... Cheer up and keep faith!
Caroline

5 Oct 2008     

cgato
Portugal

Some time ago I felt very depressed too and I also posted a message here! If then I understood that the problem happened in many countries now I know it is worldwide!
I read fantastic messages of support that made me feel better.
All the messages were great, but I thought Olindalima�s was special to me because she is a portuguese teacher so she knows very well what we are dealing with here!
Nevertheless, here in Portugal many students and their parents consider that it is very important to learn English, but this is for those who want to go to university and maybe work outside the country! For others it is a complete loss of time. I usually give the example of Cristiano Ronaldo!LOL I tell them: " Has he or hasn�t he had to learn English? "
Besides to apply to many jobs, speaking English is also a required skill!
But I work in a central school of a litoral city. In the countryside the situation is much worse!
Just DON�T GIVE UP. You will always make the difference, even if it�s only for a few students. Thumbs Up

Wakebeauty:
I was amazed by reading your post!!!
I give you ALL MY SUPPORT AND SIMPATHY!
At least our teachers have a degree In English or French or Spanish. At our schools students must have English but they can choose the second language. They must study: French or Spanish. But before, universities formed spanish teachers. Many portuguese find spanish very easy to understand an speak, but that doesn�t mean they can teach it! (I understand it perfectly and I speak it rather well but I wouldn�t be able to teach)

A VER BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG Hug to all teachers around the world!!! Let�s not loose HOPE!

5 Oct 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3