Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Adverbs of manner    

Adverbs of manner

msmsr
Portugal

Adverbs of manner

Hello, everybody

I need your help right away, please. I have a doubt: is there a difference between  the adverbs of manner conditionally / conditionaly and peacefully / peacefuly when writing. I need to Know if the first ones can be considered as British English and the second ones American English.

Please I need an answer and if possible a good site where I can read more about it

Thanks in advance

4 Mar 2009      

Tere-arg
Argentina

Although I have seen those words somewhere with an only "l", I think the correct form is with double "l".

Conditional + ly (manner adverb ending) = conditionally

Now, other words like travel, quarrel, propel, equal, etc  keep an only "l" when adding a suffix  in American English but double it in British English.

travel     traveling (Am)   travelling (Br)

Sorry I cannot help more  than this  Unhappy

5 Mar 2009     

douglas
United States

I have never seen the 1 "L" format and I just checked pons.eu (an excellent online dictionary)and they automatically jump to the double "L" spelling.   Pons usually gives both British and US translations so I think we are pretty safe to say the single "L" is simply a misspelling ( I always mispell(?) this word).

Douglas

5 Mar 2009