Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > The use of ´ in mother ´s    

The use of ´ in mother ´s

BRAHIM S
France

This rather applies to formal writing, which explains why in emails, which are less formal, it �s more common to have lots of contractions, whereas in letters, reports, presentations,  these would be less used

6 Mar 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

LOL

I agree with Libertybell as well.... because what she has written exactly how I felt when I saw it... but I wasn �t sure if it was something that I should pull them up on..... I think I will just mention in casually that while you can say it, I would prefer that they don �t write it. These are adults students preparing for CAE exams in a few months....But as mentioned at the top it was an informal writing task (write a postcard to a friend) so I was confused between being super strict or allowing at as it was informal...

Anyway I need to stop fretting over really small grammatical errors: THAT is the moral of this story!LOL

6 Mar 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Surely a modecom of common sense is needed here.  Much depends upon the context and the �register � (formality) of the writing.  It is true that generally, it is not acceptable to use contractions in formal writing, except in direct quotations about what someone said.  But in informal writing such as a letter to a friend then no contractions would look pompous and unnatural.

Having said this, however, I have just heard that the examination taken by 14year olds in Malaysia will have as its criteria that whatever the written task they are required to do ( a letter or a report) they will be penalised if they use contractions.  I feel this is grossly unfair.

But let �s face it (darn it, one of those pesky contractions sneeked in there!!) writing by SMS and e-mail is becoming more and more contracted.  FYI there are whole worksheets on the abbreviations you can use. :-D

LOL Logos

6 Mar 2009     

< Previous   1    2