Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Help : teaching vocabulary    

Help : teaching vocabulary

OL1N3
Indonesia

Help : teaching vocabulary

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, friends ;-)
however, they got their vocab such as: haggard, jovial, ecstatic, robust, fad, hazard, tingled, etc. How to make them memorize the meaning easily? I �m a private tutor at home, what should i do to help them memorize the meaning of those kind of words??

6 Mar 2009      

douglas
United States

Have them draw them.  They really have to think in order to draw something that represents an adjective--it stimulates creativity as well.

Douglas

Next time you ask for help may I suggest that you identify the problem in your title as well--it makes it easier to find later.

Thanks,
Douglas

6 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

You need to expose them to the words as much as possible - use flash cards, use them in sentences,  dialogues. But in the end they are going to have to learn them, which means studying them.

6 Mar 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

If i hadn �t known who sent this post on teaching adjectives (http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=4808)
I wouldn �t have been able to send it to you now and help you.
It �s less time consuming.

See the point of the importance of writing an adequate title?

6 Mar 2009     

OL1N3
Indonesia

yes, thanks for the suggestion ;-)

6 Mar 2009     

lany75
United States

We use vocabulary squares, where you give them the word and the definition and they copy it down. Then, they draw a picture in a box to help them remeber the meaning. For example, for ecstatic, they could draw themselves doing something that they really enjoy that would make them ecstatic.

6 Mar 2009     

Jannai
Mexico

A good method to teach new vocabulary is from context, prepare a story in which you use the new vocabulary, ask them to infer from context. Ask questions about he reading using them and at the end ask them to create their own story or sentences!

6 Mar 2009