Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I need a clarification with a phrase.    

I need a clarification with a phrase.

Sunshinenikki
Japan

Bruce, Why not saying : I drink my tea in a tea cup?

Elle, My head is spinning right now with all the suggestions :-) 
I created a debate here in Japan . No one say in a cup! 
They told me that they wouldn �t like to be in a cup to drink the green tea! Haha 
I am surprised with all different opinions though.

24 Mar 2017     

kohai
Latvia

Before this discussion I thought I drank tea with milk and sugar (not with a glass or cup!) from/ out of my favourite mug! I am still not sure if I am ready to accept drinking tea in my mug in future...

Thanks for starting this thread and the answers,
a non-native 

24 Mar 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s definitely from or out of. The tea is in the cup and I drink from the cup.
I pour the tea into the cup from the teapot. It�s because it concerns movement from one place to another. 
By the way, I only drink my bubbly from a flute. If I was handed it in an ordinary glass, I would not be happy.Wink

24 Mar 2017     

yanogator
United States

Nikki, I don �t like to be redundant. I definitely don �t drink my tea from a measuring cup. Since it is tea I �m drinking, I let the hearer assume that it is a teacup I am drinking from (and not an athletic cup, for example).

Bruce    

24 Mar 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Bruce, when I read your answer yesterday, where you mentioned beaker, I thought to myself how strange because a beaker to us is a plastic cup that young children usually drink out of (but it�s rather old fashioned now and most people just say plastic cup). But then, later in the day, I purchased a lovely Wedgwood fine bone china mug and when I went to remove the sticker, I noticed that it said beaker!

So thank you for introducing me to my new word of the day.

And Lynne (or any other Brits), can you confirm, do Brits commonly use beaker instead of cup or mug? 

24 Mar 2017     

yanogator
United States

Jayho,
I �ll admit that my information comes from old British television, specifically Patricia Routledge in Keeping Up Appearances, so it might not be current usage.

Bruce 

25 Mar 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Like Lynne, I drink my tea �from �, or, �out of � a cup. Preferably �from �. As I drink the tea, it travels �from� the cup, (or �out of� the cup), into my mouth.

I �have � my tea �in � a cup, or �in � a mug, or �in � a special kind of glass, or even �in � a beaker, provided it is porcelain, rather than a plastic cup.
I �make � my tea �in� a cup, with a teabag. I �put � the teabag, and the water, and the milk �in � the cup.
However, I make it a firm rule, NEVER, (especially when ladies are present), to climb into the cup and drink my tea �in � the cup. I might have a spoon �in � the cup; I might even, (contrary to Health and Safety Regulations), have my thumb �in � the cup. But that is as far as I am prepared to go. Apart from which, I do not wish to have to change my wet underpants�every time I have had a bath �in � my teacup.
However, I do confess that I have my bath, �in �, the bath.
But I�NEVER�drink tea �in � my bath ... because of the danger of electrocution! ... from the electric kettle, you understand!�
These are my opinions. But I am sure that everyone has his/her favourite preposition to use.
Perhaps, on some far-distant, tropical island, in the other hemisphere, because of the Laws of Physics, the inhabitants�drink their tea �underneath � a cup.�
Les�

25 Mar 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Hilarious, Les!  Having your bath in a tea cup with ladies present would surely cause more than a storm in a teacup!

Speaking of beakers, we also find beakers in a science laboratory.

25 Mar 2017     

< Previous   1    2